Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any input on how to increase suspension travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any input on how to increase suspension travel?

The title may have been stated slightly wrong, but I do not know any other way to state it more clearly. First off my car, unfortunately I know, is on shitty JOM coilovers. The fronts were maxed out and still wasnt low enough, so I cut the stock spring perch off and lowered the JOM adjuster to get that extra 1/2 of low. As the car drives now when I hit bumps, usually only larger bumps I hear the shock bottoming out, which I know is because of the maxed out awful coilovers. My question to you guys is what do I need to do to get the car even lower, and increase the amount of suspension travel, or keep it the same but still lower the car.

I have had a few thoughts so far.

1: E90 drop hats. I know these will allow me around 10mm maybe more of drop, however, do these decrease shock travel? I have heard they do, and have also heard they do not, and will lower it and keep the shock travel. Also before anyone says these cannot be used with coilovers, they use the stock top hat, so yes I believe they should work with the JOM coilover spring. If this however does decrease shock travel, then this will immediately be out of the question.

2: Shorten front struts and run whole new front suspension. This is more so the route I was thinking I would need to go. The other day I contacted Ground Control to see if they would sell just the front adjusters and springs, along with a pair of shortened shocks and they said they will not sell only the front components. So that ground control is out of the question here was my other idea.

I could keep the JOM adjusters, since they are not awful quality, but are JB welded to the strut to prevent movement when tightening. so doing this I would need to cut the strut below where the current perch is now and remove a section of the strut below that, and then weld these 2 pieces together. This way, in theory I would only need new 2.5 ID springs and shortened shocks, and new top hats to accommodate for a 2.5 ID straight spring as opposed to the JOM tapered spring.

My final question comes down to which of these would be a best option. Obviously ground control is out of the question because I cannot buy just the front components, but is there any place I can just buy the front parts, ebay adjusters and eibach springs maybe? Or does anyone know if einstein57 and his GE coilovers would just sell the front parts? Would keeping my JOM adjusters and cutting a section out from below this be an option as well?

Also I am looking to a good how to on how to shorten the front struts. I have see a few videos when ive searched but couldnt find a good write up with some specs on how much to take out of the strut, and what size springs and rates would be good to run to really put the car on the ground. If I can set the frame on the ground at the lowest setting then I would be able to put it to the top of the adjuster and call it a day then, so that is probably a good measurement of what size springs I would want to go with.

Any input on all of this is appreciated. Thanks

INSTAGRAM @ merlow_

Step one,call ground control with credit card in hand and order the full kit with shortened housings and dampers.

Step two,install parts when they arrive.

Step three,oh wait your done-enjoy!.

Comment

Air bags is what you need if you want to be able to "lay frame"
      Originally posted by codyep3
      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
      2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
      1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
      1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
      2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
      2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
      2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
      2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
      2010 F650gs twin
      2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Seems like you already got it figured out!

I would go 1" longer spring if you cut anymore than 2" out of your housings.
        The more you cut, the less ability you have to raise the car.
        Hypercoil sells springs at any length, inner diameter, and rate you'd like.
        There are quite a few shocks you can use, you just have to search a bit. E30 IX front, VW G60's and some Koni variant that I forgot seem to be the most popular.
        Consider what locking nut/gland-nut on the housing you're using when purchasing new shocks.
        You'll need camber plates or a top hat when installing 2.5" springs/coils.

I have 1" longer 2.5" front 550lbs coils I'll sell you if you'd like to use that.
        I used them on my shortened housings.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

1: E90 drop hats only raise the level the upper spring perch sits at, the strut will stay the same, so yes, you are losing more travel.

2: This is the way to go. Either pick up a set of GE coils, GC coilover conversion kit, or buy an ebay civic coilover kit and a set of real springs, sell the joms, and run that. Run an iX front strut (Bilstein HD, or Koni SA) in the shortened housing with a spacer at the bottom.

You may be able to use the JOM lower perch/adjuster with regular aftermarker 2.25 or 2.5ID springs. Measure them up. I bet someone on the forums has a top perch that would fit, from running camber plates with a GE kit, or similar scenario
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by L8 apexr View Post
            Step one,call ground control with credit card in hand and order the full kit with shortened housings and dampers.

I was already in contact with ground control and was told they do not sell only a front kit, and I have no need for the rear kit. I also PMed einstein57 and he cannot sell only a front kit also.

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
            Air bags is what you need if you want to be able to "lay frame"
            I am not trying to lay frame, I just was using that as a reference you can say.

Originally posted by ak- View Post
            Seems like you already got it figured out!

I would go 1" longer spring if you cut anymore than 2" out of your housings.
            The more you cut, the less ability you have to raise the car.
            Hypercoil sells springs at any length, inner diameter, and rate you'd like.
            There are quite a few shocks you can use, you just have to search a bit. E30 IX front, VW G60's and some Koni variant that I forgot seem to be the most popular.
            Consider what locking nut/gland-nut on the housing you're using when purchasing new shocks.
            You'll need camber plates or a top hat when installing 2.5" springs/coils.

I have 1" longer 2.5" front 550lbs coils I'll sell you if you'd like to use that.
            I used them on my shortened housings.
            Thanks for the input. When you say 1 inch longer im just a little confused as what you mean by that. And I would probably keep the JOM adjuster and locking nut, considering its already attatched to the strut. I will just section 2 inches from below where the adjuster already is, and yes ive checked and the JOM adjusters are 2.5ID.

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            1: E90 drop hats only raise the level the upper spring perch sits at, the strut will stay the same, so yes, you are losing more travel.

2: This is the way to go. Either pick up a set of GE coils, GC coilover conversion kit, or buy an ebay civic coilover kit and a set of real springs, sell the joms, and run that. Run an iX front strut (Bilstein HD, or Koni SA) in the shortened housing with a spacer at the bottom.

You may be able to use the JOM lower perch/adjuster with regular aftermarker 2.25 or 2.5ID springs. Measure them up. I bet someone on the forums has a top perch that would fit, from running camber plates with a GE kit, or similar scenario
            Thanks. I will most likely just section 2 inches from below where the JOM adjuster sits now. The ID is 2.5 inches, so that is the tophat size I would need. I do not need camber plates. and would really prefer not spending that much money since I do not have to. Any input as to where I can find a set of top hats besides on the forums?

INSTAGRAM @ merlow_

Comment

Its not the coils that you need, you need to shorten your housing and run ix bilstein HD. The ix front insert are shorter. This is the cheapest route.
              Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

We can shorten housings here for ix inserts if that's the route you go which I agree is the best option
                Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                Bimmerbuddies LLC
                717-388-1256
                2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
                bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
                  Its not the coils that you need, you need to shorten your housing and run ix bilstein HD. The ix front insert are shorter. This is the cheapest route.
                  Well, the JOM springs themselves are very soft, and I do want to run a shorter spring as well so that I can lower the front a little more than it is now. That is where me wanting to achieve more travel comes in because I want to lower the front 3/4 of an inch or so and I barely have that much travel as it sits now and I want to increase the quality of the ride a little.

Originally posted by SmokeE30 View Post
                  We can shorten housings here for ix inserts if that's the route you go which I agree is the best option
                  I was going to shorten the housings myself because the ones I am using are the only ones I have and the ones currently on my car. Just curious, how much would you charge to shorten the housings, and would you be able to do it since they are on my car?

INSTAGRAM @ merlow_

Comment

and also, this is unrelated, but is there a way to add more camber to the rear? I have searched and know there are camber kits for the rear, but they all note that they can correct camber, and I would want to add a slight amount of camber, maybe a degree or so.

INSTAGRAM @ merlow_

Comment

I advise you to get a 1" taller spring in the front because when you do in fact section your housings, the HIGHEST setting on the collar might be inconveniently low for you, and that would really suck.

This happened to me long long time ago when I sectioned 2.50" out and had 5" 440# rates up front.
                      Highest setting was unpractical; tires touched the fender skeleton on any bump, skid plate hit every reflector. It was a nuisance.

This all depends on how much you're going to section out and what spring rate you have. I wouldn't worry about it up to a 1.5" cut.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by L8 apexr View Post

If you want to be lower than you currently are with a decent ride, take the first respondent's advise- Sell/trash what you have and call ground control. Follow the directions they give you to shorten your housings or have them do it for you. Tell them your goals, desired spring rates, and ride height. Then pay them what they want. They make good shit. It works really well, and is a great point to start off at for what it costs.

If you want to be lower than that. . . it's either bags for temporary low or custom suspension. $$$$

How low does your wallet want to go?

Comment

Originally posted by bigredguy View Post
                          Well, the JOM springs themselves are very soft, and I do want to run a shorter spring as well so that I can lower the front a little more than it is now. That is where me wanting to achieve more travel comes in because I want to lower the front 3/4 of an inch or so and I barely have that much travel as it sits now and I want to increase the quality of the ride a little.

You don't get it, no matter how short your spring is, you'll still get the same height. Its sitting a cm away from the bump stop already. Cut your housing and move the collar up, at least you'll have 3/4 of the shaft to travel on and still "stance".
                          Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                            I advise you to get a 1" taller spring in the front because when you do in fact section your housings, the HIGHEST setting on the collar might be inconveniently low for you, and that would really suck.

This happened to me long long time ago when I sectioned 2.50" out and had 5" 440# rates up front.
                            Highest setting was unpractical; tires touched the fender skeleton on any bump, skid plate hit every reflector. It was a nuisance.

This all depends on how much you're going to section out and what spring rate you have. I wouldn't worry about it up to a 1.5" cut.
                            I plan on sectioning 2 inches out of the strut. So with 2 inches out, and a 6 inch spring would I sit any lower than I am now? I have a thread or 2 on here, or pictures on my instagram for reference.

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
                            If you want to be lower than you currently are with a decent ride, take the first respondent's advise- Sell/trash what you have and call ground control. Follow the directions they give you to shorten your housings or have them do it for you. Tell them your goals, desired spring rates, and ride height. Then pay them what they want. They make good shit. It works really well, and is a great point to start off at for what it costs.

If you want to be lower than that. . . it's either bags for temporary low or custom suspension. $$$$

How low does your wallet want to go?
                            If you read the thread so far this was already suggested, and yes I know they make quality products, but the only part I really need are the springs and shocks after I shorten my housings myself, and ground control will not sell anything but a full kit, i asked. I only need the front because I am running a 4.5 inch spring no adjuster in the rear, so I dont want to pay for more springs for the rear and an adjuster that I will never use. I am not looking to spend mad amounts of money or id have broadway static coilovers. The JOM adjusters are not bad quality whatsoever so I will be using those and sectioning 2 inches from my strut, purchasing 2.5ID springs and top hats and new shocks and calling it a day. Now the thread is basically about suggestions of where to get top hats.

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
                            You don't get it, no matter how short your spring is, you'll still get the same height. Its sitting a cm away from the bump stop already. Cut your housing and move the collar up, at least you'll have 3/4 of the shaft to travel on and still "stance".
                            I do get it, I will be sectioning my struts, and when I am talking about a shorter spring, it is to run on the shortened struts.

INSTAGRAM @ merlow_

Comment

Originally posted by bigredguy View Post
                              I do get it, I will be sectioning my struts, and when I am talking about a shorter spring, it is to run on the shortened struts.
                              I read the thread, and apparently you get it. Carry on.

Comment

Working...
                              X