Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koni HELP!!!! Install problem

Hey guys,

Just got some koni's but for some reason I cannot install the front inserts. I order the correct ones for a 325i 89. The insert fit in the strut but the nut is giving me a hard time. I would guess the nut is the problem since it won't fit over the insert like on the old shock. Did anybody had this issue? Do I have to order a special not for koni inserts?
    The previous shocks were tokicos.

sigpic

My konis came with their own gland nuts, but they fit into my stock ones when we did the test fit. Even the koni supplied ones were a tight fit, I had to snap them onto the insert before I slid them into the housings.
    - Josh
    1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
    Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

I would think that the new shocks would come with a new nut but it didn't. I checked and double check and all I have is the adjusting key, 4washers, 2 nuts for the top mount, 2 rings (which I have no clue what they are for) and 2 red caps. Nothing else.
      sigpic

Comment

Since the previous shocks were Tokicos, you may not have the correct gland nuts. Get a pair of OE gland nuts.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

If it is the correct insert, and it looks like it is, try sanding the paint off of the top of the insert where there's interference.

It's very common for Konis to have a very thick buildup. There should be no slop between the gland nut and the insert when installed.
          Suspension tips here...
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Gone try to get new ones see if they fit.
            The one on the left side (side that I took apart) doesn't look the same as the right side.
            This car has been a headache since I got it. Whoever worked on that car previously shouldn't be allowed to work on them.
            No bolts are the same, parts half installed, missing stuff, crappy paintwork, ...

Thank you guys for the help.
            Keep you guys updated
            sigpic

Comment

I thought about sanding the paint but I would have to sand more than just the paint.
              I would say that there is at least 1 mm difference in diameter between the top of the old and new shock
              sigpic

Comment

I just went and measured a stock nut and Koni.

The ID of the nut should be roughly 42mm. The Koni OD is roughy 39mm.
                Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

Thanks I'll check it out when I get home.
                  It seems that I must have the wrong nut. With a 3mm clearance I should be able to fit it fairly easily.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yep, factory nuts are round not hex's.
                    Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your help
                      sigpic

Comment

So I went to the dealer yesterday to pick up a new set of nuts and got my problem fixed. Thanks everybody for the help.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X