Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Softer springs on massive sways ?

I m redoing my suspension , and I need some help
    currently the car has M50 NV ( collecting turbo parts , almost done )
    The car is my daily for now , might start Autox/drifting it next year

Right now I have front H&R coilovers with 340lb (which seems to be the max I d go for as we DONT have a single smooth road here, in fact i m thinking to go for a softer one as I have one of the springs already broken

My question is :
    1- was thinking to go for softer coil springs and Massive sway bars as IE 25/22 kit (i know that's not the best to do it but I can't think of another way to have an acceptable stiffness for our shitty roads + lowest body roll ) ?
    was thinking of something like 200-250 infront and 400-450 rear ?
    (would that have any effect on my H&R front shocks ?)

2-My second question is that my front coils are 6" and I cant seem to get it HIGH enough , yes you read it right HIGH enough , the coils are nearly fully compressed and style its tooooo low
    with like 1.5" ground clearance from my oil pan ( I scrap it on daily bases )
    My IS lip literally is a dust scrapper (lost two and now I don’t have one )
    I m on 16" 205/55 tires
    so do I need longer coils ? 7" or 8"?
    I really don’t want to go that low …

please accept my shitty photo

Soft springs/big sways is a typical rally car setup due to uneven road surface. So yeah, that could be a good way to go, but it won't exactly be a killer autocross or drifting setup.

I'm assuming the adjusters on the front are raised all the way up? If so a longer spring is what you need to raise the car.
    -Alex

Comment

Emre seems to think big sways is the way to go. He was reporting that the car handled a lot better and had tons of grip. I want to try something like that with softer coilover rates and upgraded swaybars, as the roads here in this small redneck town are downright awful. I've driven on gravel back roads that are better..
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

My main concern is to have a balanced car (easy to control with a little bit of overs tearing )

Forgot to say that right now i have 18mm front sway and nothing at the rear
        with unknown rear spring (but I think softer than fronts)

coming from a prior M42 , the nose feels way tooo heavy , and I dont feel much confident attacking curvy roads like i used to do
        I d like to eliminate that feeling ?

Aint 25/22 a over kill ? shall i settle with 22/19 ?

Comment

Be prepared to brace the mounting points for those big bars they will be hell on the stock stuff. Also you could run m3 style swaybar end links and mount them to the strut housing to increase the stiffness up front without a huge bar.
          Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
          Bimmerbuddies LLC
          717-388-1256
          2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
          bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
          X