Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another stuck tie rod end, help..please (89 325i)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another stuck tie rod end, help..please (89 325i)

So I got some billys/h&r set up to put on the new e30. I got the rears put on just fine.
    This cars front is a nightmare....
    The driver side tie rod end is stuck in the section still, got the nut off though.
    Passenger side tie rod end nut is still on, it turns but isn't coming off the thread...

I am going to assume I just need to try to heat the drive side, I tried a pickle fork from every angle possible and no luck. I am going to try and get a tie rod puller tomorrow as well just in case heat won't work.

How do I get that nut off the passenger side, as it does turn when I try and ratchet it but doesn't loosen off the bolt thread?

I do have an impact wrench if that will help but looks pretty narrow to fit it. Its kinda large, like a cordless drill.
    Last edited by R1ckM; 06-06-2014, 06:48 PM.

to prevent the ball joint from turning, put a jack underneath the joint and lift the car up from that.
    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
    (Daily Driver)
    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
    KW V2 Coilovers
    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

I did this last night.I put a long breaker bar underneath the strut housing and have one end over the tie rod.I used a jack on the other end to put some pressure on it and stop it from spinning.

Good ol leverage.

Comment

I tried using a jack but it doesn't effect the spinning of the bolt. I will try using a 18" breaker bar I have.
        Here is a clip of me turning the nut and the thread of the bolt turning along with it instead of not moving and the nut threading off.

Do the OEM tie rods have a allen wrench hole on the bolt?
        Last edited by R1ckM; 06-07-2014, 07:29 PM.

Comment

PB blaster has always helped me, pre-soak the night before. Also, if you don't want to ruin your tie rod or ball joints, a hammer or air hammer preferably against the hub where the ball joint goes into will shake the joint right out since they're tapered. I use an impact gun to take off the nuts, never had a problem.

RIP 02/25/15
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...16#post4356816

Comment

got it off with a hacksaw.

Comment

I've always had to use impact guns for my tie rods. The end always spins at hand torque, but the torque from the impact is so fast and high that it'll come right off within a few seconds

Yeah
              They're a pain

Comment

Torch the mo-fo and be done with it. lol
                Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Working...
                X