Glue on spring perch?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glue on spring perch?...

Just an Idea, and perhaps GCMark can answer this. Would it be possible to JB weld the nylon spring perch to the underside of the car? My nylon perch's do not fit tight on the nipple(for the rubber perch) on the underside of the car, and the springs just fall away when the car is lifted, creating the possibility that the springs could just fall out. I do plan on using the tall rear shock mounts, but wanted some imput regarding the JB weld as I am getting rid of the threaded collar and adjuster for maximum low on an early model. What do ya think?

Chiming in...

This is interesting. I get regular calls from others who can't get the nylon cones off. I, personally have always had to use a wedge or something similar to get the darn things off of the cars I've worked on, including my own.

But to answer your question; If the cone does not fit tight on the nipple, you can use adhesive, but I wouldn't use JB as it will bond the cone permanently to the mount. I would simply use a silicone adhesive which can be removed if necessary.

Mark

Edit: Hint...If you pull the emergency brake before you lift the car, the wheels won't droop
    Suspension tips here...
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Shocks that are too long sounds like the real problem.

Comment

...very common with stock style replacements.
        Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

Gluing the perch on will keep the perch from dropping, but the springs will still separate from the perches. You need shorter shocks with less extension or to make up droop limiters.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

keep in mind silicone and steel are not a good mix. Silicone will accelerate the oxidization process.

maybe something latex based would be a better choice.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

^ I had no idea. Thanks Nando. My 7th grade science didn't cover that.

I can, however, disect a frog quite quickly...
              Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the responses!

I guess each car is a little different. On my '87 the threaded collar is stuck on the control arm, so I'll try the wedge method on that. Good to know about the silicon. Can anyone who has installed the tall RSM's with the Billy sports tell about their experience? Do they hold the springs in place or is there still a chance they could fall out? My goal is basically to get as low as possible due to the higher rear arches, and to loose the collar as it impacts the nylon cone and bottoms out over bumps. Just trying to make it ride comfortably.

Comment

Originally posted by jamiholzbach View Post
                  I guess each car is a little different. On my '87 the threaded collar is stuck on the control arm, so I'll try the wedge method on that. Good to know about the silicon. Can anyone who has installed the tall RSM's with the Billy sports tell about their experience? Do they hold the springs in place or is there still a chance they could fall out? My goal is basically to get as low as possible due to the higher rear arches, and to loose the collar as it impacts the nylon cone and bottoms out over bumps. Just trying to make it ride comfortably.
                  A little heat and penetrating oil will work wonders on the threaded collar.
                  2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                  2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                  1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                  1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                  - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                  1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                  Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Working...