H&R: Sport vs Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I picked up some new wheels (17x7.5 Alpinas on 215/40R17s) the other day. Im on stock suspension and the wheel gap is horrendous, and so im shopping around for shocks and springs.

Im stuck between the H&R Sport springs, or their Race ones. What are your opinions between the 2? Do the sports give enough drop to look good with the 17s? Do the races really give much more of a drop? How much more responsive are the races compared to the sports? Is the $100 or so worth going with the races?

Im planning on going with Bilstein Sport shocks and Bimmerworld camber plates. I don't mind a stiff ride, I actually prefer it over a smooth ride (I like to feel tapped into the car).

Thanks
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
    Originally posted by Northern
    beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
    Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
    Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
    '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
    Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Sorry for huge, blurry pictures... Shitty iPhone 4 pictures.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?

Comment

I had sports in my car with no spring pads and solid bushes was stiff enough for me for the street and daily driving. Check my sig for pictures
      sigpic

Comment

HR race is what you want. HR sport are pretty soft and excellent for dd. I've had many set ups and I bet from experience u would like HR race the best.
        Much wow
        I hate 4 doors

Comment

I'd go with the race springs. I have them, and they're great. I much prefer stiffer springs with rubber bushings than softer springs with more solid mounts.

Comment

Buy races if and only if you're racing your car- auto x doesn't count. Why second guess the army of German engineers who have dubbed each product with its respective title? That's just me.

The sports are NOT soft, unless of course you're coming from races. Take the money saved and upgrade your CABs or control arms or whatever. I did sports and went with solid delrin condor m3 cabs and you feel hella tapped into the car.
            /______\_o_/______\
            l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
            \ #___======___# /
            |__/-------------\__|

"Took me an hour to do this..."

took me like three seconds to copy/paste it- FOR SCIENCE!!

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

H&R Race is what you're after. Even then, they're borderline too soft for street purposes on rough roads.

Comment

I've also been trying to decide which ones to go with lol.

I would like to go low w/ slightly wider wheels so would like stiffness for less bounce however I wasn't sure if they were that different.

Comment

Well I was trying to decide btwn the super sport and race

Comment

My dad's M3 has Moton coils with pretty stiff springs (I don't remember the rates off the top of my head, I'd have to ask) and I love the feel.

So my thoughts now are Billy sports, H&R races, Bimmerworld camber plates, 95A poly sway bushings, RTABs, and FCABs. I'm still undecided what to do for shock mounts and subframe bushings. I'm also planning to do a poly diff bushing and motor/trans mounts.

Hoping that this will bring the girl to life a little bit.

What bushings am I forgetting? And what do u guys think of the set up?

Massimo what are the specs on your wheels/tires?

Thanks your all your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaButt View Post
                      Buy races if and only if you're racing your car- auto x doesn't count. Why second guess the army of German engineers who have dubbed each product with its respective title? That's just me.

The sports are NOT soft, unless of course you're coming from races. Take the money saved and upgrade your CABs or control arms or whatever. I did sports and went with solid delrin condor m3 cabs and you feel hella tapped into the car.
                      I'd pretty much recommend the opposite of this.

Stiff springs, soft bushings. Handling with some ride quality preserved.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD View Post
                        H&R Race is what you're after. Even then, they're borderline too soft for street purposes on rough roads.
                        Coming from the man who went back to race because his coilovers were to stiff lol.
                        sigpic

Comment

Either spring will be fine. It's the billy sports that ruin it... Go Koni adjustable and be as street smooth or as track firm as you like.

Comment

I went with H&R Sports and Bilstein Sports. I have all rubber bushings.
                            The ride quality is great, but it's definitely not "low". I am exploring using thinner spring pads and some E90 drop hats to get it down a little.

It does allow me to drive the torn up roads around here in comfort, and hit the bumpy twisties with confidence.

If you don't mind a stiff ride, I would definitely recommend the H&R Race.

Here's some shots of the H&R Sports with all original spring pads, and original sized tires.

Comment

The above is on h&r lowering sport springs? =\

Comment

Working...
                              X