Setup for my 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setup for my 318is

I have a 91 318is with ~150k, and the shocks need to be replaced. The second previous owner had switched out the springs for e30 M3 H&R race springs (they're black springs, not sure the exact number) , but the shocks weren't replaced. I don't think the springs need to be changed, but the shocks need to be, so I want to switch them out for some new ones.

I need help with exactly what I need to buy. I like the current ride height (would much rather go lower than higher), and my current understanding is that shocks don't change the ride height. I like the current camber as well, and I don't think there is any camber plates installed. What exactly should I buy? My future plans (in maybe 1+ years) would be GC coilovers or CATUNED coilovers, but for now I think replacing the shocks will do.

I was thinking Bilstein Sports, since it is what I read everywhere, but I read Konis are better for daily driving, which is all I do.

1. What exactly should I replace?
    2. What brand should I should I get?
    3. Is there any bushing that I should replace as well while I'm at it? The front control arm bushing need to be.

Here's the best picture I could find, stupid filter makes it hard to see where the tire ends. I'll take better ones tomorrow.
    EDIT: More pictures.
    Last edited by Mohit; 10-28-2014, 04:20 PM.

Konis if it's in the budget. Bilsteins are great alternative.

There is probably a great deal of worn suspension parts under there. Inspect Control Arm Bushing/Ball Joints and Tierod Ends.
    1989 325I(M20B25US)|KAMotors CAI|Bilstein Sports|H&R Sports|ST Sways|SSSquid Tune|Red46 Sump Armor|

Comment

clean car!

if it were me, I'd go with Koni SA.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

another vote for Koni...funny that your H&R race springs are black, I bought mine brand new and they were red
        1991 318is ---230K - DD
        1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
        so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Here are some pictures. Is there a specific Koni SA that I should buy? Would the ones here on Bavauto work? They might be out of price range however.

Would the shock mounts need to be replaced too?

Comment

i got mine from bavauto, and yes, the shock mounts should be changed, front can be stock or camber plates if you want to go that route, for the rears i have the lifetime bimmerworld mounts
            1991 318is ---230K - DD
            1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
            so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

The Bilstein HD's are great for daily driving. It's a set and forget solution that is well proven and easily replaced if anything happens to a corner of the car.

The Koni's are adjustable, so get those if you want to autox. Make sure to check if your race class allows adjustable suspension first, too many mods can put you in a high class group very quickly.

If you want to go to a true coil over, just save up and do that. Keep the $450 (or $700) would spend on shocks now and use that to purchase coils. The shit ride you have now will make it easier to save up for the correct suspension you actually want.
              Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
              A Topless Memorandum

Comment

^^ I've heard confusion over using Bilstein HD's with Race springs. You might want to watch my video on what I replaced on my car when I hit 248k. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjiMriLlxYI

Comment

Working...
                X