Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alignment for E30 M3 offset CABs + some low

Hey guys,

I've put on some offset E30 M3 control arm bushings and my alignment is noticeably off.

Last year I put on a set of H&R Sport springs, and this year added thinner spring pads and E90 drop hats. I never did get an alignment when the lowering springs went on.

The car isn't "MAD HELLA TYTE FLUSH SLAMMED" or anything, I estimate a total of 1.8"-2" drop in the front. (I never did measure)

Car is my summer/fall DD (although I do hope to get a track day in at least once a year.)

TL; DR
    What is adjustable alignment wise front and rear?
    Any suggestions as to settings?

Toe front, and nothing in the rear.

That's all that's adjustable on the stock e30 suspension.
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
      Toe front, and nothing in the rear.

That's all that's adjustable on the stock e30 suspension.
      That's all that seemed adjustable as I've been working with the suspension. I was hoping there was more to it then that!

Any recommendations for front toe settings?

Comment

Well don't forget that the whole idea behind the m3 control arm bushings is to change the geometry of the front suspension and the fact that it is lowered would change everything even more (probably should have gotten it aligned when you lowered it)
        From my experience the m3 control arm bushing make the wheel sit noticeably farther back in the wheel well than with stock bushings

Don't the m3 bushings add a bunch of caster to the wheel therefore increasing high speed stability

And toe should be kept within bmw specifications nothing fancy (.11"-.19" inwards ) the shop that does the alignment will know

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty325ix View Post
          Well don't forget that the whole idea behind the m3 control arm bushings is to change the geometry of the front suspension and the fact that it is lowered would change everything even more (probably should have gotten it aligned when you lowered it)
          From my experience the m3 control arm bushing make the wheel sit noticeably farther back in the wheel well than with stock bushings

Don't the m3 bushings add a bunch of caster to the wheel therefore increasing high speed stability

And toe should be kept within bmw specifications nothing fancy (.11"-.19" inwards ) the shop that does the alignment will know
          It depends in which direction you install the offset bushings. The usual way moves the front wheels forward, and adds caster, as you've said.

I would bet that the local alignment shops don't know what the BMW specs are (hence this thread).
          I hate bringing my vehicles to any shops, I don't trust them.

Comment

Well now I'm learning something new

Comment

Well now I'm learning something new....good to know

Comment

Bumping this thread. My friend with an E36 M3 suggested that I run Zero toe upfront.

What do you guys think?

Comment

By lowering the car you have added static camber. Stock is 1 degree negative. Lowering 1.5" will add roughly another degree.

If the car is primarily driven around town. Zero toe will reduce inner tire wear.

For spirited driving, adding about 1/16" toe out will improve turn-in, but increase inner tire wear if the car isn't seeing somewhat aggressive cornering.
                  Suspension tips here...
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DRTSRFR View Post
                    If the car is primarily driven around town. Zero toe will reduce inner tire wear.

For spirited driving, adding about 1/16" toe out will improve turn-in, but increase inner tire wear if the car isn't seeing somewhat aggressive cornering.
                    I'm not super concerned with tire wear. But I do a lot of highway driving, and I don't want to end up with something twitchy.

I do like responsive though.

Comment

Unfortunately twitchy is responsive. That's why you always hear to put in as much caster as possible. The centering effect of the caster stabilizes the front end and let's you run aggressive toe out to get good response on turn in. Without adjusting caster you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Comment

Caster is a measurement of suspension angle, or how far tilted your suspension is from front the back on axis. The M3 CABs increase caster to increase high speed stability. Caster has almost no impact on tire wear but will increase steering effort. Increased caster will, as said above, make the driving a little more twitchy.

My car is excessively low, with -2.15 degrees of negative camber up front. I run the stock recommended toe and have no tire wear issues up front. I do like 0 rear toe (with the added adjustments) for lowered cars.

Comment

I should update. Had the front toe set to zero, and it's nice to have my steering wheel straight.

Car drives well. Good balance between turn-in and stability.

The rear alignment isn't looking great, I think mostly in part to all of the original bushings. That'll be next summer's project.

Comment

Working...
                          X