Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange mix of swaybar parts, what should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange mix of swaybar parts, what should I do?

The suspension was a jacked up mismatch of parts when i got my car, I'm trying to get it back legit but i have a problem. Long story short, I knew my car had an iC/'vert 21mm front sway, with some too-big bushes, but I didn't know until today that my car had full Ireland sway hardware with the different mounting brackets until I got the Powerflex 21mm bushes I have literally been waiting months for.

So what should I do with this? It seems obvious to me that the bracket is pushing the center hole out-of-round, and that it is too tall. The fabricator I work with says I should just use spacers on the brackets, cut the bushes down or even just crank the bolts down, but I'm like fuck all that. I have a feeling Ireland won't sell me just a sway bar by itself, though I'll call tomorrow and see. I do have a stock pair of brackets laying around but I know their poor design is why the ones like Ireland's exist. I'm forced to do this full suspension upgrade because everything in the car is so shot, but I couldn't really afford it to begin with and I'm already really over budget due to how many additional failed components I have found. Should i just accept I need to purchase a whole new sway bar kit and try to sell off all the extra hardware and bracketry? If so, does anyone know what the good bang/buck is right now before I go searching? My rear bar is cool, just needs a little lube and these new Lemforder endlinks put on.

What was supposed to be a one-day job is now not even half finished after a week and a half, and my E30 is my only car/daily driver. My loaner right now is an S2000 but it has been so horribly neglected and the battery always dies leaving me stranded so I need to get this sorted like quick. Any help you can provide would be awesome.
    sigpic
    1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

i run whiteline 24mm sway bar bushes in my IE brackets and IE 25mm bar, i just reamed them out with a drum sander in a drill (they were bolted in a spare set of brackets to keep the bush in the correct shape) and to make the bushing sit in the bracket correctly i just used a die grinder and sanding equipment. i did this because the IE bushes are too hard for my liking and squeak after time no matter what lube i use.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

After looking at all this my boss says the Ireland bushings look generic as fuck, and he's right, so I think I found them in whatever size I need for cheap from Prothane, just gotta take some measurements. I actually think Ireland may source their bushings and lower brackets from Prothane. Wish I had thought of that before, I wouldn't have waited so long for these expensive Proflexes.

Edit: Actually Prothane doesnt offer the right combination......

Back to square 1
      Last edited by Vincent Brick; 09-22-2015, 11:24 AM.
      sigpic

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

or ...... just PM friendly ol' me here at IE. Should be able to get you handled pretty quick on the miscellaneous pieces without breaking the bank.
        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Were you who I talked to? lol

Came back here to say that I called IE and was able to get 21mm bushings that fit their front sway brackets and for a very good price, in case anyone in a similar situation finds this thread in the future.

Thanks to everyone.
          sigpic

Comment

Ha, actually no. I'm not on the customer side anymore. Good to hear you got things handled though.
            ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Working...
            X