Gahh - my steering is vibrating...WHILE TURNING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gahh - my steering is vibrating...WHILE TURNING

So...if I'm barely moving, my steering vibrates a ton. My last pump did that right before is exploded on itself. So, needless to say, I'm just a little bit pissed.

Why the fuck is this piece of shit vibrating? It's beginning to bug me. The whole rack shakes like crazy if my car isn't moving and I crank the wheel at all. When I'm moving it doesn't happen. It happened when I first installed the pump - but stopped when it was bled.

WTF is going on?!?!
    - Sean Hayes

my power steering pump is a certified POS and does the same thing. On mine it looks like the deal is the pump has too much internal resistance so after a while the pump moves on the adjuster just enough for the belt to stop slipping.

Im pretty sure mine is the OE pump with 220k on it so Im just waiting for it to die. Sounds like yours is much newer though.
    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

i have a pump for 40 shipped.......if that will help.
      vickers
      sigpic

Comment

Yea, here's the thing.

I JUST bought this one from someone else - like...uhh...2 weeks ago?

I really don't want to buy another just to run into the same problem.

is there anyway to fix this? is my pump going to blow? Cause if not - I don't care. it only bothers me because I'm worried my pump is going to blow and spew power steering fluid all over the countryside.
        - Sean Hayes

Comment

Well - it stopped now. I don't know what's up with this thing - but this pump is bugging me! so - I disconnected it today and I'm going to make sure it's mounted up - TIGHT.

the other thing is - this thing is leaking. Any ideas on how to get it to stop? It's not my lines - but rather it seems to be leaking out of the pump?
          - Sean Hayes

Comment

remove the power steering all together?

Comment

Originally posted by e304me
              remove the power steering all together?
              If this was not my daily driver, and my only car - I would. But, here's the thing. my short ratio steering rack + no power steering makes steering even a bitch on wide open roads at speed. When stopped, it takes some major man handling to even get the tires to move. It's a pain in the ass.

I would, but given the fact I already pulled A/C I'd like to keep SOME comfort options. lol
              - Sean Hayes

Comment

i am a weakling and a no ps z3 rack seemed easier than a no ps stock rack to me

Comment

Maybe it is - I have no idea.

WhatI do know though is - my friends with no power steering in their car is easy compared to mine. I dunno - maybe it's my big tires.

I like my p/s though.
                  - Sean Hayes

Comment

Working...
                  X