Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the PO install the wrong rear shocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the PO install the wrong rear shocks?

What's going on guys?

Just as the title states, I think the PO installed the wrong rear shocks. Ever since I bought the car, I always thought it looked ridiculously high in the back. I measured and the back sits up 3 inches higher than the front. So I took a look at the stamps on the shocks to see if they match what is supposed to go on an E30. The wheel gap is absolutely massive and it looks terrible. Does this look normal?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160320_190451REV.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	7248615 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160317_143524REV.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	7248616

Here's what I came up with. They are KYB Gas A Just and the stamps on the bottom of the shock read: 553329 VG03. Now what I think is that these are made for a 1975 Mercedes (KG5533), when the KG4539 is supposed to be for the E30. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now here are my questions for you: Does my rear end look normal to you? ;D Would the wrong shock create such a dramatic lift in the rear? Is this truly the wrong shock? And are these the stamps on yours?

I originally thought the early models were just made to look higher in the back, but I may be wrong. If you have any other suggestions that might cause this please let me know. Or if it looks normal to you, please tell me so I don't continue a stupid thread. Thanks a lot guys.
    1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
    2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
    "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

First off, your tires look very undersize. That's part of it. What size are they?

The only way the shocks would lift the car is if they were very long and bottomed out at normal ride height. Since I doubt this is the case, I'd bet you don't have stock springs. Maybe the PO put cabrio springs in or even perhaps E36 springs.

Comment

The tires are 205/55R15.
      Part of me was thinking the shocks couldnt possibly raise the car unless they are bottomed out and really long. The shocks arent bottomed out for sure, or even close. I'll for sure check the springs now and see what i can see and will report back with the findings. Thanks for the help!
      "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Comment

Hmm... that should be nearly the exact stock diameter. Must just be the perspective that makes them look small.

Comment

Wouldn't bottomed out shocks make it LOW, not high?

Check what springs you have. From those photos, it definitely looks high.
          My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Performance Aftermarket Parts & Accessories

Comment

The car is also an early model which has higher fender arches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Post pics of the springs
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by MrSlacker View Post
                Wouldn't bottomed out shocks make it LOW, not high?

Check what springs you have. From those photos, it definitely looks high.
                If the shocks are longer then stock shocks, and they are bottomed out, then it would keep the car sitting higher then normal
                '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Name:	20160719_190631-1024x1820.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	7186440

Name:	20160719_190547-1024x1820.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	7186441

Sorry they aren't out of the car. If I need to take them out of the car, I can. Just let me know if there is anything else I can do to help resolve this!

Comment

High gas pressure shocks designed for a heavier car can keep a lighter car jacked up higher than normal.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

The struts you have are about 2" shorter than an E30 strut. I doubt they are much stiffer if any at all as they were in a similar sized car.

Comment

Now I'm not positive they are from the Mercedes, I just looked at the number stamped on the shock and figured the first 4 were the code for the shock and saw they were for a Mercedes. I may have the right shocks after all, if anyone else has KYB Gas A Just, that'd be a sure fire way to tell. I posted the best pictures I could get of the springs. If I need to I will take them out and see if I can find some stamps or markings. They do have those 2 white marks on each one...I think my Bentley manual mentioned something about those markings...

Comment

Bump! Need help guys!

Comment

Those springs are not from e30.
                            sigpic
                            327is
                            325es
                            325es
                            318is
                            Fiesta ST
                            E46 M3

Comment

Working...
                            X