GC coilover question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GC coilover question

I have a set of the e30/e36 hybrid Ground Control coilovers for my e30. I noticed when installing them (car on jackstands) there is play on the top spring perch. not a little, a lot. about 3/4" vertical movement between were it sits against the shoulder of the strut at the bottom and the underside of the camber plate on the top.

Is this normal or am I missing a spacer that would lock it in position???

When the weight of the car is pushing the spring into the upper perch, the perch should be seated in that convex/concave surface without the upper perch touching the strut insert. Without weight on the spring, the upper perch should fall until it hits the strut "shoulder" where it steps up in diameter.

I think that clearance is what you're describing, and that's fine.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

can possibly try a helper spring too. if you don't want that gap when the suspension is at full droop

Comment

Thanks for both responses....I don't care for the idea that its not in a fixed location, so maybe a helper spring is in order...

Comment

I use swift springs on my Moton struts on my other car. if i recall the price is not bad.

Comment

What you are describing is normal and not an issue.

Bear in mind that the shock travel is reduced by whatever the thickness of the compressed helper spring. I don't like that idea more than I don't like the idea of the spring being in a fixed location while the car is on a lift.
            ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I would think you would want the load on the strut to be on the shoulder of the shaft and not the small area on the thread transition. if that makes sense.

Comment

The plates are designed so that the spring weight goes into the perch and into the camber plate, and the spherical bearing only deals with damper and location related loads. That's why they don't make contact.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  The plates are designed so that the spring weight goes into the perch and into the camber plate, and the spherical bearing only deals with damper and location related loads. That's why they don't make contact.
                  interesting, I will have to look at the set up closer, but from what I remember the upper perch rides on the bottom of the spherical bearing and drops away from it under droop...But I will confirm tonight when I disassemble them.

Comment

It appears that the bottom of the camberplate is convex and the top of the upper perch is dished to fit. I contacted GC and they confirmed that with my model of coilover the upper perch was free floating.

Comment

Working...
                    X