Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zionsville quick ratio kit impressions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do u need the tie rods too, or just the rack?? any issues with the power steering when this mod is done?
    Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

you can use E30 tie rods, but if it comes with E36 rods, use em.
      Recent Rebranding!!
      Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
      E30 SM62/S62
      E30 M60 V8
      E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
      Instagram.com/garageaholic
      Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

thanks
        Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

yes you need a different hose and to bend it

Comment

Originally posted by fazio8118 View Post
            Yes you can use the 95 rack. I have a 99m3 rack in my car (which is also a airbag car). You just have to trim some of the firewall for the steering shaft
            Like tin snip style trimming, or just a grinder to grind down a tight spot type of deal w/ the airbag cars?

Comment

I have the Z3 rack in my race car and it was a night and day difference, I now have awesome control and correction response time. Definitely knocked time off my runs. Also didn't have to use the E36 hose just creatively adjusted the stock hose.

Now my 325es has the 95 M3 rack and that is perfect since the Z3 rack can get twitchy at high speeds. So the 95 M3 rack in my opinion is perfect for a daily driver upgrade.

My .02,

RODD
              2008 SCCA National Tour - Packwood, WA.

www.M10Racer.com
              '4-banger 8v Racing'

Comment

Originally posted by iNetMANN View Post
                I have the Z3 rack in my race car and it was a night and day difference, I now have awesome control and correction response time. Definitely knocked time off my runs. Also didn't have to use the E36 hose just creatively adjusted the stock hose.

Now my 325es has the 95 M3 rack and that is perfect since the Z3 rack can get twitchy at high speeds. So the 95 M3 rack in my opinion is perfect for a daily driver upgrade.

My .02,

RODD
                The 95 M3 rack and Z3 rack have identical steering ratio's, so one cannot be "twitchier" then another. They cannot be variable ratio as it is a straight rack and pinion.

The only difference is the lock-to-lock distance, 2.7 for the Z3 vs. 3.0 for the 95 M3.

It's probably CAB's, alignment, tires, or something of that sort creating the "twitchy" feeling.
                85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                e30 restoration and V8 swap
                24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post

It's probably CAB's, alignment, tires, or something of that sort creating the "twitchy" feeling.
                  You may be right since there is a huge difference in those components between the 2 cars.

RODD
                  2008 SCCA National Tour - Packwood, WA.

www.M10Racer.com
                  '4-banger 8v Racing'

Comment

any1 happen to know the Part# for the 3.0 m3 rack? im picking up a used one, and just wanna make sure its the rite one, thanks!
                    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

has anyone here actaully tested that the m3 rack and z3 rack have the same ratios? no, so stfu

Comment

There are steering stops, usually where the knuckle hits the control arm. Rack and pinions have a ratio the same as ring and pinions. The ring gear is just flat. Are the lower number of turns peculiar to the Z3's steering stops or to the rack travel? Common sense would tend to think you could use the same racks as other body styles and just limit travel at the control arm steering knuckle.It may be just less room in the roadster body's wheel wells for wider tires and wheels. The actual spec for racks is in terms of rack travel for pinion rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by e304me View Post
                          has anyone here actaully tested that the m3 rack and z3 rack have the same ratios? no, so stfu
                          Yes, so stfu. Remove the plastic steering stops from the 2.7 rack and it becomes a 3.0 rack with identical ratio to the m3 rack, ie the same thing. There is zero benefit to the z3 rack.

Sam

Comment

I have a Z3 rack (pretty sure anyway) and it turns just as far as my original rack. If it went any further, it would just be up against my fender walls. So, I'm not sure what everyone's talking about with the Z3 rack causing less travel overall - because it's identical for me.

It's insanely short. When I first jumped in the car, it was night and day, and even took some getting used to. My friend had to get used to it too when he drove, and even my dad (who has a 95 M3...btw). I'm used to it now though, I can just turn insanely fast when stopped. ;)

I love this rack, and it's seriously, along with my suspension and motor, one of the best mods I've done to date. It makes autocrossing much smoother, and when driving on the track, I don't recall my hands ever having to leave 9 and 3!

Z3 rack FTMFW!!! :D
                            - Sean Hayes

Comment

eh, i have a z3 rack sitting in a pile with the rest of my parts whoreing. i tested it by hand, 2.7 LTL, although, if the above is true about removing some plastic steering stops and having the same specs as a 95 M3 rack, then i would rather just go that route, as i wanted the 3.0LTL rack anywayz.
                              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
                                eh, i have a z3 rack sitting in a pile with the rest of my parts whoreing. i tested it by hand, 2.7 LTL, although, if the above is true about removing some plastic steering stops and having the same specs as a 95 M3 rack, then i would rather just go that route, as i wanted the 3.0LTL rack anywayz.
                                I never saw any plastic stops? Where are they?
                                - Sean Hayes

Comment

Working...
                                X