Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zionsville quick ratio kit impressions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zionsville quick ratio kit impressions....

My stock rack took a dump a couple days ago so I'm upgrading, from my researching/reading I'm leaning towards the '95 m3 rack, is this the rack that Zionsville sells, it just says e36 rack? Also, for those running this conversion what are your thoughts and impressions, thanks

Ed

I've got the '95 M3 rack. Finally got around to throwing a new power steering pump in the car today after being a lazy bastard for like 4 months and having no power steering.
    Definitely one of the better mods I've done to the car, I would highly recommend it. I think if you've got the cash, the zionsville kit might be worth it purely for convenience. If you are looking for a rack, check out www.car-part.com .

Definitely go for the '95 m3 rack, don't listen to anyone who tells you the Z3 rack is better- they have the same steering ratio, but the z3 rack has less travel.
    Last edited by Brew; 09-30-2006, 07:09 PM.
    '91 318is
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brew View Post
      Definitely go for the '95 m3 rack, don't listen to anyone who tells you the Z3 rack is better- they have the same steering ratio, but the z3 rack has left travel.
      What do you mean "left travel?"

Less travel?

Comment

Less travel. Thats why its 2.7 turns instead of 3 ;)

Will
        RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
        Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
        DaveCN = Old Man
        My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
        If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Isn't the M3 rack linear, and Z3 progressive?

Comment

I'm going with the m3 rack but it has to be the 95 rack specifically correct? If I get the rack from a junkyard or bmr does zionsville sell
            everything else I need to do the conversion easily?
            They want $549 for the kit plus core charge:x

Comment

Originally posted by Kilomph View Post
              Isn't the M3 rack linear, and Z3 progressive?
              Who cares, it's better than stock right? If this is on a street car, the difference between the two is going to be neglible.

-Brandon

Comment

So the Zionsville kit ST1 is 3.25lock to lock which the cheapest kit for
                $449 and the ST2 is 3.0 lock to lock for $549, my question is,

what racks are they using for each kit?

Comment

ST1 would be the non-M and '96+ M3 rack. Variable-ratio, meaning its slower off center than the linear rack.

ST2 is the '95 M3 rack.
                  '91 318is
                  sigpic

Comment

so the st3 kit is one to avoid?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30 Groupie View Post
                      so the st3 kit is one to avoid?
                      I guess that would be the z3 rack...

I'm ordering the st2 kit this week, a little steep but I want this
                      swap to be as painless as possible, I don't have time to fcuk around.

Comment

if the z3 rack has less travel then the e36 rack, then the e36 rack must have more travel then the stock e30 rack, unless someone doesnt know what the fuck they are talking about

Comment

and dont waste ur money on that shit, i put a z3 rack (which is the quickest ratio and moves just as far as any other rack) in for like 120 total

Comment

Originally posted by Brew View Post
                            Definitely go for the '95 m3 rack, don't listen to anyone who tells you the Z3 rack is better- they have the same steering ratio, but the z3 rack has less travel.
                            What makes you think that they have the same steering ratio, but different travels?
                            Have you accually tested each of them?

I own one of pretty much every steering rack that has been installed into an e30 (stock, e30 m3, '95 m3, '97 m3, z3), and I have personally measured the steering ratio of both the '95 m3 rack and the z3 rack. I can assure you that they are not the same steering ratio. I will have to double check to find out about the total travel for each rack though...

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i View Post
                              What makes you think that they have the same steering ratio, but different travels?
                              Have you accually tested each of them?

I own one of pretty much every steering rack that has been installed into an e30 (stock, e30 m3, '95 m3, '97 m3, z3), and I have personally measured the steering ratio of both the '95 m3 rack and the z3 rack. I can assure you that they are not the same steering ratio. I will have to double check to find out about the total travel for each rack though...

-Erik
                              Which one do you like best? Is it worth the time/money/effort to swap in a 95 m3 rack if not I might just call bmr for a stock rack.

Comment

Working...
                              X