Suspension Options for Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Options for Touring

So I'm looking to get either a new spring/strut combo or coilovers for my 88 320i Touring. Not entirely sure if the suspension off of a US spec 325i will work. A lot of the parts are interchangeable between these cars but I'm not sure if suspension components are as well. Since the touring is slightly heavier than the sedan I'm not sure if different spring rates are necessary to compensate for the slight weight gain. There are some type of lowering springs on the car currently from the previous owner. Car has 51mm strut housings.

I was looking at the KW V1 kit. Prices seem to be all over the place, I'm open to getting new struts and springs separate but the adjustable ride height of coilovers will be nice. I'm looking to get less body roll and a slightly stiffer ride. It's a bit soft for my taste. Any help or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!

suspension is all interchangeable.

if you want the car low, it will have to be stiff too - otherwise it will bottom out a bunch. h&r sport is a good compromise. OE sport if you want it higher.

for coils, GC makes a nice custom valved kit. you can assemble your own, as well, but if you want something that works right out of the box, talk to gc and let them tell you what spring rates they suggest.

kw will be basically a race suspension.

if you want roll resistance but not at the expense of comfort, invest in sway bars.
    cars beep boop

Comment

BTW: Touring springs == cabrio springs springs because of the heavy booty
      Build Threads:
      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
        BTW: Touring springs == cabrio springs springs because of the heavy booty

Yes, definitely do not be shy about using aggressive spring rates in the rear.

I have 650 lb springs now, and I still think they're a little too soft in my touring.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
          Yes, definitely do not be shy about using aggressive spring rates in the rear.

I have 650 lb springs now, and I still think they're a little too soft in my touring.
          Thanks everyone for your comments.

Earthwormjim, what setup are you running as far as your suspension?

Comment

Originally posted by W1020 View Post
            Thanks everyone for your comments.

Earthwormjim, what setup are you running as far as your suspension?

Ground Control coilover kit, the street one, with standard length Koni sports.
            Front springs: 475lb
            Back springs: 650lb

E36 M3 '95 LCAB, the offset ones.
            E36 tie rods
            E36 non-M steering rack
            E30 non-M control arms
            E46 M3 convertible RSMs and reinforcement plates.
            Garagistic poly subframe and and trailing arm bushings
            Adjustable subframe
            Garagistic x-brace
            ST sway bars 22mm/19mm

Comment

W1020 where did u end up going and how were your results?
              '89 E30 Touring, '85 911 3.2 Coupe, '89 GB500, '96 XR400

Comment

I've got an H&R sport kit for a sedan in mine, as Kronus says, it's a good compromise, and I've been using mine as a daily with some light track duties.
                It's a bit lower at the rear, but as Julien says, cab would be better to level things out. Or H&R do a touring specific set as well.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X