Drop Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drop Hats

Do drop hats reduce front suspension travel? Not exactly sure how they fit and work... ?

Thanks!

Basically the springs go deeper into the hats raising the perch,lowering the front of the car and reducing
    travel as well.
    Last edited by egk2; 03-04-2007, 09:00 AM.

Comment

So raising the lower perch by approx a quarter-inch, then?

Comment

dropped the front end 10mm or so

Comment

OK Maybe this is a really good jumping in point for me???
          I now have my shocks,springs,control arms, front M3 bushings, strut berings. Will drop hats help bring the front end down on my 87 is in conjunction with the Vogtland springs?
          And that being said, do I need to buy the spring rubber for the front and rear, and any other bits and peices?
          I think I am going stock on the rear bushiings, and the sub frame bushings too? I have read to many post on the polyurethane bushings going south to fast, and also I really don't want a squeeker. (one in the family is enough).
          But that 87 High Boy IS of mine will soon be a low slung ride, all I need is some info from the E30 gurus to help me along! :bow:

Comment

Springs hats do NOT reduce suspension travel .

Sure the struts might bottom out or the car might hit the ground first but they don't limit the suspension travel .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post

Sure the struts might bottom out or the car might hit the ground first but they don't limit the suspension travel .
              How would you use the upper hat to lower the car?

Sounds like what they are talking about is like the Ground Control "shock extenders".http://www.ground-control-store.com/...egory.php/CA=5

Shocks have a "sweet spot" and this is intended to put the shock at this point. It makes it so the shock doesn't bottom out as well. But the shock doesn't lower a car. The spring does.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post

Yes they do... with lowered spring hats, you have less bump travel and less droop travel. Hence, less travel.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                  Yes they do... with lowered spring hats, you have less bump travel and less droop travel. Hence, less travel.
                  QFT. They definitely reduce travel.

Btw for those who are interested in running these from Bekkers be forwarned that I had to grind them down to stock circumference. Out of the box they are way too wide as compared to stock units which caused them to rub the insides of the strut towers causing coil binding/clunking during slow turns. I don't think these are necessary for those running lowering springs and conventional sized wheels and tires. They are a good alternative to coilovers for getting the front end down enough to fill the gap when running a euro wheel and tire setup(stretched rubber).

Comment

Don't believe Bekker's sells these anymore.

Comment

Guess I was off...I've never heard of these and can't even find anything from searching. What else are they called?
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Anyone got a picture ? I'm curious, what they look like ?

Comment

im thinking of removing mine come summer. the front geometry has been screwed ever since i put them on [didnt change the alignment after installation] and the car is basically on the bump stops w/ h&r sports and bil sports.

used the 10mm from bekkers as well, and they do need a but of reduction to fit the strut tower.

Originally posted by vlad
                          Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

I'm running H&Rs + Billy sports as well, and I'm looking at my front tire gap, ain't no way that I can afford more drop! Drop-hats would probably have me riding on bump-stops too, not to mention screwing up my fenders when I turn.
                            This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

Originally posted by egk2 View Post
                              QFT. They definitely reduce travel.

Btw for those who are interested in running these from Bekkers be forwarned that I had to grind them down to stock circumference. Out of the box they are way too wide as compared to stock units which caused them to rub the insides of the strut towers causing coil binding/clunking during slow turns. I don't think these are necessary for those running lowering springs and conventional sized wheels and tires. They are a good alternative to coilovers for getting the front end down enough to fill the gap when running a euro wheel and tire setup(stretched rubber).

Yeah they definitely ned some work out of the box .
                              I noticed they were a little off initially but mounted one on the strut anyway .
                              As soon as I bolted up the strut mount I knew it was not gonna work .

Heres a few crappy pics :

This is how much I took off ...you can see my pre-cut guide line on the one on the right :

Heres how they compare to stock :

I'm still of the opinion that they do NOT reduce travel ....in theory .
                              It has the same effect as raising/extending up the strut towers or lke reducing the stack height on camber plates .

I'm also of the opinion that these things should solely be used for looks unless you have shortened struts .
                              My Bilstein Sports bottom out internaly all the time with this set-up .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Working...
                              X