No announcement yet.

Drop Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They still sell them, imo as stated above, these are for aesthetics only and it should be pretty obvious as to why. My old e30 handled more balanced without the drop hats, with them in it was nose heavy. But they gave my e30 the correct stance needed to run my wheel and tire setup and I learned to live with the trade off which wasn't much...

Comment

I with Teaguer, why if he was to have the same shock and spring combo on the right with a stock spring hat the one with a stock hat would be in the same spot yet the spring would be less preloaded.

It would be lower with the drop hat.

Stand corrected on the bekker's issue, but I know that Low Level was looking for some for a project. Said he couldn't find anyone so I believe he sourced his thru Nico.

Your had more weight on the nose due to the rake hence the steering feel change. Aesthettics as mentioned, while for a lighter M42, M10 or S14 due to the polar movement being farther back this would be a not bad choice to get a late model car to look level.

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
        I'm still of the opinion that they do NOT reduce travel ....in theory .
        It has the same effect as raising/extending up the strut towers or lke reducing the stack height on camber plates .

I'm also of the opinion that these things should solely be used for looks unless you have shortened struts .
        My Bilstein Sports bottom out internaly all the time with this set-up .
        If your shocks bottom out all the time, and they didn't before... you have less travel. This seems obvious to me.

Originally posted by SchnellerVert View Post
        I with Teaguer, why if he was to have the same shock and spring combo on the right with a stock spring hat the one with a stock hat would be in the same spot yet the spring would be less preloaded.

It would be lower with the drop hat.
        Again in english? Drop hats preload springs less with a given strut.

Drop hats are the WORST way to lower your car. I would cut springs before I use them.

Comment

Well I'll agree that its not a good way to lower your car with these hats that drop it excessively .
          They are fine for cruising around but are not ideal for spirited driving .

On the whole travel issue you'll notice that I said in theory they do NOT rduce travel .
          But in reality the travel will be reduced by struts bottoming out or the vehicle contacting terra firma .

But on a side note I never had issues with fender clearance due to above mentioned side effects .

The white 318 in my sig is sitting on FK 60mm ft springs with the Bekkers hats coupled with H&R Sport springs on the rear .
          Bilstein sports all the way around .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Looks like all it does is shortens shock travel a lot.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

BTW, i have a set for sale. they arent the bekkers hats either, they are like cusco blue in color, dunno the brand. however they are the correct size, no cutting is needed.
              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

drop hats will reduce ride height travel (if you're front bumper scrapes now... this will make it worse) but it should NOT reduce shock travel. Your shock/spring length stay the same it just sits higher into the hat.

Comment

Originally posted by ummagawd View Post
                  drop hats will reduce ride height travel (if you're front bumper scrapes now... this will make it worse) but it should NOT reduce shock travel. Your shock/spring length stay the same it just sits higher into the hat.
                  Stop that.

Comment

technically if you would raise the upper spring seat AND the upper shock mount, lets say for this purpose higher and into the engine bay instead of like a stock one where it actually is 2-3 inches into the strut tower tunnel, you would be able to lower the front end of the car without compromising suspension travel, though as Teaguer says maybe the car might hit the ground first, but that is an extreme example.

Those GC shock extenders will NOT lower the car, but allow the shock to move without bottoming out as easily as it would without it. They do not raise the upper spring perch, therefore no lowering will occur.

BTW ive been looking for a set of e30 lowering spring hats...i remember a company made them for the e36 (same i would believe for our cars), but I cant find them anymore. I wanted that extra 1" drop in the front without going to coilovers, but i think i'll just bite the bullet and get some coilovers. Better for track anyways.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

aside from bekkers

who else makes these drop hats?

Comment

ohhh, so that's what the clunking is, thank god it wasn't my steering rack like i thought it might be, thanks guys!
                        sigpic

Comment

Drop hats sound like the perfect solution to the GFs ride heigth issue.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Recently installed mine on my 4dr e30 using stock springs. Bought the e90 drop hats from
                            Ecstuning.com.(good quality $35 shipped) Did lower the front end but did throw off my alignment. Removing them sometime soon and will try them on some H&R lowering springs.

Comment

I hear nothing wrong. You need to do the alligment. That's all.

Comment

Working...
                              X