Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are my H&R Race springs higher then H&R Sports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matt View Post
    Doubtful. Just make sure your springs are seated properly, then drive it like you stole it.
    I already drove it like I stole it, probably 500 highway miles, several autox's, back roads and bumps, everything, maybe a total of 2000 hard miles. When I drive this car, I drive it hard. It's done settling.

When it's on the ground, I can feel the spring ends butted up against the perches.

I'm just confused, there is not a single other e30 with Race springs that sits as high as Sport springs. It makes no sense, and I'd like an answer. I don't care that it's higher, but a reason will make me happy. I called H&R and they told me they don't make the Race spring for my car. Ha. I guess I'll call back and tell them I have an e30 M3.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Ok, let me change that. Drive it like you stole it and quit worrying about it.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
        Ok, let me change that. Drive it like you stole it and quit worrying about it.
        I'm not worried, I'm looking for an explanation as to why my parts I just dumped $1000 are not similar to everyone else's. It's a legitimate concern. If I put something together wrong or something is wrong with the parts, it needs corrected, especially when this car will be on the track with my life, my instructors life, and anyone else on the tracks lives on the line. It's probably nothing major, but I'd like an explanation, so I'll keep trying to figure it out.

Comment

Did you add camber plates?

Comment

nope

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
              nope
              The lack of camber plates could certainly do it. Most camber plates are shorter than normal strut mounts, allowing the top string perch to sit higher/closer to the body.

My car does not look nearly as low as I thought it would with the race springs, but it was also crazy high before the springs. I am very happy with the race springs.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it is about rate as well as spring loaded height. If you add 400 pounds, the sport springs would probably be lower since they are softer springs, until the coils bottomed out.

I've also heard a LOT about variations in E30 ride heights. I know BMW has a whole array of stock springs to correct ride heights. Also, as chassis age the bodies tend to slump. Collisions can affect ride height. If you can get even camber left to right, that is all you really need to worry about.

-E
              WTB

Lots of good parts FS!

Comment

Originally posted by ErykTheRead View Post
                The lack of camber plates could certainly do it. Most camber plates are shorter than normal strut mounts, allowing the top string perch to sit higher/closer to the body.

My car does not look nearly as low as I thought it would with the race springs, but it was also crazy high before the springs. I am very happy with the race springs.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it is about rate as well as spring loaded height. If you add 400 pounds, the sport springs would probably be lower since they are softer springs, until the coils bottomed out.

I've also heard a LOT about variations in E30 ride heights. I know BMW has a whole array of stock springs to correct ride heights. Also, as chassis age the bodies tend to slump. Collisions can affect ride height. If you can get even camber left to right, that is all you really need to worry about.

-E
                Thanks.

As I said, I'm not comparing my ~2800lb 325e on sports to my ~2730 lbs 325is. I'm comparing my 325is on Race springs to EVERY other e30 I've seen on race springs, with or without camber plates.

I'm not in the slightest way concerned about performance with the slightly higher ride height... 1/2 inch or so of height isn't going to make a noticeable difference. The spring rates are perfect, that car is very neutral.

The car was never wrecked, and all suspension parts are brand new.

Stock spring rates and ride height is not any concern with this issue, I'm comparing my 325is with every other e30 on race springs. If I see another e30 on race springs at my ride height at around 2700-2750 lbs I'll be satisfied :D

Comment

Thanks.

As I said, I'm not comparing my ~2800lb 325e on sports to my ~2730 lbs 325is. I'm comparing my 325is on Race springs to EVERY other e30 I've seen on race springs, with or without camber plates.

I'm not in the slightest way concerned about performance with the slightly higher ride height... 1/2 inch or so of height isn't going to make a noticeable difference. The spring rates are perfect, that car is very neutral.

The car was never wrecked, and all suspension parts are brand new.

Stock spring rates and ride height is not any concern with this issue, I'm comparing my 325is with every other e30 on race springs. If I see another e30 on race springs at my ride height at around 2700-2750 lbs I'll be satisfied :D

?

-E
                  WTB

Lots of good parts FS!

Comment

?

-E

Got a better pic of the side or anything?

Comment

Got a better pic of the side or anything?
                      Not currently. I have a super narrow driveway, so hard to get a full on side shot without pulling the car out. I am due to clean it up and take some pics, so perhaps I will have one soon.

-E
                      WTB

Lots of good parts FS!

Comment

Wow, two outdoor faucets y-ed into one. It's like a built-in powerwasher. J/k.

Originally posted by whysimon
                        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                          Wow, two outdoor faucets y-ed into one. It's like a built-in powerwasher. J/k.
                          Or, you know, one is hot and one is cold water... ;)

-E
                          WTB

Lots of good parts FS!

Comment

Or, you know, one is hot and one is cold water... ;)

-E
                            Makes is simple to hook up a washing machine outside too! ;)
                            '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

you never known when your going to want to take a shower out side either

Comment

pics of your car from side? early cars don't look that low... (arches).

and sports come in many varieties. maybe it was for a lighter car than your first one or made to be lower than standard sports. my car on sports is SLAMMMMMED.

Comment

Working...
                                X