No announcement yet.

Air-Ride suspension: anyone done this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^awesome. I would love to know how it drives.

So some of these bags set ups end up ruining a cars handling? and others do not? What makes the difference?
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

You can adjust the pressure of the bags so the ride can be stiffer or smoother, it all depends on the company and their product though, you pay more for those types of conveniences.

Thanks for posting that Jason! Too bad I still can't afford it! :(
      Reminiscing...

Comment

The ones that are huge into handling are airride technologies setups. They have shocks built into their bags, they call it the shockwave. Those they are setup w/ bigger sway bars and then they are adjustable shocks so combined with the adjustability in air pressure to make it stiff, they are able to adjust the rebound and corner dang well. On their site they have a few video's of their products doing autocross and stuff like that, and have had great responses from some pro racecar drivers who have tried their trucks and cars on the track. I can't remember off the top of my head who these people were, as they came up with the shockwave about 5 years ago but I remember the big deal over it all.

Also some of the bags have internal bumpstops, while others don't, so they affect the drop. They also run different thicknesses in the bags, such as Firestone bags rip easily, but are a really soft cushy ride because the walls are thin and pliable, while SlamSpecialties are super thick and ride stiffer and are stronger. Whey you build the suspension you odviously don't have the bag touching anything, so the firestones don't get ripped, but are a comfy ride while the slam's are really stiff and corner a bit better because of it.

With that setup that Jason posted it wouldn't be hard at all to build. Talk with thebagshack, the owner devon's a good guy and has a thing for the e30, him and I are in a minitruck club together, but he loves e30's so he may help you out w/ pricing if you end up going for it.

Comment

Thats what I'm talking about, thanks for the good info!

Its still a pipedream at the moment really but at least I have the information for later.
          Reminiscing...

Comment

^pipe dream for me to me too right now. I just have this image in my had of having a super slammed AND street drivable e30.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
              ^pipe dream for me to me too right now. I just have this image in my had of having a super slammed AND street drivable e30.
              Same, that and I've wanted to go Hella Flush on my E30 for ages...
              Reminiscing...

Comment

I just have this image in my had of having a super slammed AND street drivable e30.
                I feel you there. Been bummed out lately w/ the static drop on my e30, I had forgotten about the easyride universal kit, that just may be what it takes me to get more motivation on the e30. We'll see, should know tonight about pricing for me.
                Otherwise I'm with you guys, just a pipe dream, love the way that works.
                Glad to help w/ the info, feel free to pm me or hit me up if you guys have any questions, been doing airride for a while now...

Comment

Figured I'd update w/ what I just found out so far. Using the setup that Lowrider Depot used, the most travel you can get is 3.5 inches from full drop to full lift, they have a 7 inch one, which is 7 inches of travel, and a 5 inch of travel version but there are issues with hitting tires with those. Because of the width of the bags, you can't get them super low otherwise it'll hit the tire because its 7 inches in diameter. Basically at full drop it's what Ireland stage 3's will get you for a drop. So unless you go with Air ride technologies setup, which is better, even Double adjustable shocks on them, width wise its going to be ok to work. Only issues with these, is they are universal and expensive so would make me atleast nervous as heck to use because fab will be needed to make them work. And at 1000 just for 2 bags its not quite worth it, unless you've got money to burn.

Comment

Well on the plus side - the rear's seem like a piece of cake - is that right?

Comment

Well on the plus side - the rear's seem like a piece of cake - is that right?
                      yeah, your right, the rear you could do in an hour. Just weld a plate on top, and weld a plate on bottom, of course these plates will need to have the holes for the fitting for the airline and then the bolt holes. Then just drill a hole through the body into the bay, 3/4 inch wide or so that goes into the trunk and your all good. No strut bags or anything, just a simple 80$ or so airbag and that's all you need for the back.

Comment

This is all very cool to read. I love bags.

Gonna get in contact with the dudes who built that 318is.

Comment

I already emailed their sales department asking if they would come here and post some more information. But please try and get a hold of the actual guy that did it - that would be great.

Comment

I already emailed their sales department asking if they would come here and post some more information. But please try and get a hold of the actual guy that did it - that would be great.
                            I'll try and find him... I know the lowrider depot is a big company but not a ton of employees so odds are your email to sales will get to him quick.

Edit: Found tom, the guy who posted those pictures that Jason found on s10forum on one of the minitruck forums and emailed his email. Hopefully I'll get a response, and I told him about r3v and that a bunch of us were wondering about the details of his setup.
                            Last edited by 318isbmw; 11-29-2008, 09:48 PM.

Comment

If you guys want me to, i'll post in that thread and ask if he'll come over here and tell us more about the car and so on? That way all bases would be covered.

1992 BMW 325iC
                              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                                If you guys want me to, i'll post in that thread and ask if he'll come over here and tell us more about the car and so on? That way all bases would be covered.
                                Thank you Jason:D I was gonna call my buddy who's a member and ask him to post for me haha.

Comment

Working...
                                X