Air-Ride suspension: anyone done this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30Idea View Post
    Cylinders bolt in..... you need to make a custom perch for bags, cutting old material and adding new. Ease of use.
    Where do you bolt the cylinders to? bmw never built the perches for the cylinders on the bottom, and they don't have the space on the top either. You have to build perches like cleaner said.

Even if they did bolt in, why would someone run something that's inferior to something else. Little extra cutting and grinding is worth it to me to have a better result that will be reliable and won't wear out and not be as nice of a ride.

By the way, cleaner, thats a damn good price for all the work that goes into these. Thanks for posting up on here. People could just get an extra set of struts and send them down to you guys and get em made up and swap it over...

Comment

Originally posted by TOM@LRD View Post
      Wow, its nice to see that you guys like our most recent shop project. We were wondering how the BMW guys were going to like it once we finished it, its the first BMW we have worked on.

Is there any questions that I can clear up for anyone?
      Originally posted by cleaner32 View Post
      Hi guys, its my E30 on air,

if I dont sell any of you a thing DONT BUY FROM AIRBAGGIT, CHASSISTECH, AIM INDUSTRIES ETC.... BAD NEWS BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE. They have a kit for every car, wonder why?

We can sell this kit shipped for 2500.00 with the Asco manifold & no Fab-Lab ride height controller. We would need the struts off your car to modify them.

Any questions give mne a call
      Thanks Ronnie

877-698-3115
      Thanks for coming over and posting up guys. :up:

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Thanks for coming on the board and posting! Thats a great price for what you get.

I'll have more questions when this is more of an option than a dream.
        Reminiscing...

Comment

I love that you spent the time to make the bags fit on the front. This was one of the few problems holding me back from doing bags on mine.

My only complaint with your setup is the wheel to fender variance from front to back. I know the car is designed with lower fender arches in the back and how there isn't much room under the front fender, but I was wondering if it would be possible to drop the front end a bit more.

From this pic

it looks like you just used a piece of metal to connect the bottom of the factory strut to your universal kit. Would it be possible to make that piece a little smaller? I see that the bag perch is close to the top of the tire, but there still seems to be about an inch or so of clearance. Most people that go that low use undersized tires anyway, giving you even more room to adjust.

Does this seem like it would be feasible to you?
          Byron
          Leichtbau

Comment

Hey your not too far away, if your around stop by. Yes we can shorten that piece to get it lower. our 1st setup allowed you to drive slammed, not the lowest but you could steer all the way down. 2nd time we modified the top to drop it some more no more steering when slammed.

The oil pan is 1.75-2" when its slammed which is the lowest thing. Next setup will be a little lower, were running a 215/40/17 and it hits the inner fender when tucked. You could modify the inner fender to tuck more tire but unlike an s10 pickup its structual.

Thanks Ronnie

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
            I love that you spent the time to make the bags fit on the front. This was one of the few problems holding me back from doing bags on mine.

My only complaint with your setup is the wheel to fender variance from front to back. I know the car is designed with lower fender arches in the back and how there isn't much room under the front fender, but I was wondering if it would be possible to drop the front end a bit more.

From this pic

it looks like you just used a piece of metal to connect the bottom of the factory strut to your universal kit. Would it be possible to make that piece a little smaller? I see that the bag perch is close to the top of the tire, but there still seems to be about an inch or so of clearance. Most people that go that low use undersized tires anyway, giving you even more room to adjust.

Does this seem like it would be feasible to you?
            http://www.lowriderdepot.com

http://www.custom-auto.net

Comment

I forgot to mention we made a set of camber plates to get the camber back in line. You would have to factor that in as well.

Ronnie

Comment

Have you thought about raising the body where the strut mounts like they do w/ the honda guys. I'm sure you'll know what I'm talkin bout, w/ the honda's bodydropped on bags. I sure as hell wouldn't trust most of the ones you see most of the poeple have done at Dropzone and all the shows but just a thought for people who want lower than that.

Comment

Wow, I didn't even notice you were in Mass. I'll see if Mike (the guy with the semi-bagged e30 pickup) wants to head up one day.
                  Byron
                  Leichtbau

Comment

I have thought about it but I think we could make it so the pan would either touch the ground or get real close. Its too bad the pan is the lowest point. Were going to put in a M50 over the winter maybe that pan will be higher, doubt it

Originally posted by 318isbmw View Post
                    Have you thought about raising the body where the strut mounts like they do w/ the honda guys. I'm sure you'll know what I'm talkin bout, w/ the honda's bodydropped on bags. I sure as hell wouldn't trust most of the ones you see most of the poeple have done at Dropzone and all the shows but just a thought for people who want lower than that.

Comment

I know that with my m30, the steering rack is the lowest thing. Not by much, though.
                      Byron
                      Leichtbau

Comment

If you want to scrape, Go dry sump.

Pricey though.

Comment

Originally posted by cleaner32 View Post
                          I have thought about it but I think we could make it so the pan would either touch the ground or get real close. Its too bad the pan is the lowest point. Were going to put in a M50 over the winter maybe that pan will be higher, doubt it
                          I can get pics for you, did that, its lower than it was w/ the m42, or the same at most. One thing to think about would be a dry sump setup. W/ a lil creativity, which aint a big deal for a minitrucker, shouldn't be impossible.
                          Originally posted by Miasma View Post
                          If you want to scrape, Go dry sump.

Pricey though.
                          +1 my thoughts exactly. Cuz drag blocks are like training wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                            Wow, I didn't even notice you were in Mass. I'll see if Mike (the guy with the semi-bagged e30 pickup) wants to head up one day.

I'm down! The only reason i dont have the front bagged right now is i couldnt find bags to go over the front struts for under 350 each... and i is poor :(

Comment

Originally posted by mikeday View Post
                              I'm down! The only reason i dont have the front bagged right now is i couldnt find bags to go over the front struts for under 350 each... and i is poor :(
                              The ones lowrider depot used are right at 350:D Do It

Comment

sooo, hows the handling with bags?? what spring rates are the bags equivalent to?
                                IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X