Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering Rack Swap - Help - What low pressure lines do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Rack Swap - Help - What low pressure lines do I need?

Going to do a steering rack E36/mz3 swap this weekend, have the rack, adaptors, & modified high pressure line. Can I buy the low pressure lines in any auto parts store? What sizes do I need. Searching gives me info on the HP line, but nothing about the other lines. Thanks!
    Aaron

anyone?
    Aaron

Comment

You can use the same e30 lines. you just might have to bend them in a custom way to create clearance. I think you can do it with your hand, but just dont bend the lines past 90 degrees cuz they could break.

Comment

I was able to bend the existing lines to work with the e36 rack. Did not need a lot of bending but had to do it with two pairs of channel T & G pliers and two sets of hands (fairly hard to bend).

Make sure to use new crush washers too...

Comment

Originally posted by atomic View Post
          I was able to bend the existing lines to work with the e36 rack. Did not need a lot of bending but had to do it with two pairs of channel T & G pliers and two sets of hands (fairly hard to bend).

Make sure to use new crush washers too...
          yup.

Comment

by crush washers, do you mean tie rod locking plates? If I am on the wrong track, what are crush washers? Also, can you get the tie rod boot metal ties (the ones that tie the boots down to the rack and tie rod) from a kragen and/or auto zone?

Comment

Originally posted by graphikg View Post
              by crush washers, do you mean tie rod locking plates? If I am on the wrong track, what are crush washers? Also, can you get the tie rod boot metal ties (the ones that tie the boots down to the rack and tie rod) from a kragen and/or auto zone?

Yes you will need 2 new tie rod lock plates.

Crush washers are to complete the seal when hooking up the lines to the rack. Very important to use new ones to insure you get a good leak free seal. Go here for the part numbers for the crush washers (listed as copper seals, 2 different sizes)... http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=66247

Not sure if you will get those metal boot straps at the local auto zone. If they would have them they would likely be the ones that are a PITA to install as you have to feed the end through a slot and bend back over themself and crimp the tabs over it to lock in place. You can however use large zip ties and get them on really tight if you want too. Or the oem straps are premade and have to be installed before installing the boots and tierods and crimp together with the special tool made for this.

Comment

Working...
              X