Rear sway bar reinforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear sway bar reinforcement

I'm looking for suggestions on who's rear sway bar reinforcement to use, the one that bolts thru the trunk.

IE
    Turner
    or others that are out there.

Thanks

Rear shock mounts ?

If so, then try:

IE - bmw2002.com $90
    JT-D - jt-designs.com $105
    247-parts.com $50

Ohhh! i think you're talking about a rear upper strut bar.

Eric Lukas(*LukasBMW) used to sell them for $40, but now everyone here thinks they've appreciated in value. I'd buy the IE one if i had to purchase it again since I the Lukas bar is NLA.

Comment

No, its the reinforcement that goes where the sway bar mounts to the chassis and bolts thru the trunk pan.

Just trying to get a feel for what folks are using.

Comment

I hear the South Bay Independet ones are supposed to be the best, I can never remember the website though. They look like the Turner ones, but in 2 pieces, so installation is supposed to be much easier. Someone shoot out the website please...
        -Brandon
        '86 325es S50
        '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
        '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
        '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
        S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Those are only necessary if you use a really thick rear bar. I assume whichever is cheapest should do.

Aaron
          2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

16mm rear bar, its always good to have extra insurance. I had seen the South bay ones but cannot find a web site.

Comment

Are you going to be tracking the car?

Aaron
              2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

GET THE IE SWAY BAR SET. It is by far the most beautiful set of swaybars that money can buy for the e30. 25mm hollow 3-way adjustable front bar with adjustable links, 22mm hollow completely adjustable rear bar with adjustable links. The bars are stronger than other bars but lighter as well. The reinforcements that go through the trunk are fucking beefy as hell. I LOVE THEM.

332iS R.I.P.

Comment

Yes the car will be tracked, I already have reinforcemed control arms ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony S
                    Yes the car will be tracked, I already have reinforcemed control arms ready to go.
                    How in the hell do you reinforce a control arm??

332iS R.I.P.

Comment

The tab where the sway bar link goes on the control arm. You weld and gusset the tab to make it thicker and stronger, by using a plate.

Comment

No, its the reinforcement that goes where the sway bar mounts to the chassis and bolts thru the trunk pan.

Gotcha.

Well, i've heard of people getting some that require welding. However I don't know which kind they used so i'm not much help.

All i've used are the mounts that come with the Suspension Techniques kit. The mount has a backing plate that is held together by a nut and bolt. It held up fine on my 318 autoX car.

I'll be using the same ST kit on my new E30.

Comment

Originally posted by 318daily

Gotcha.

Well, i've heard of people getting some that require welding. However I don't know which kind they used so i'm not much help.

All i've used are the mounts that come with the Suspension Techniques kit. The mount has a backing plate that is held together by a nut and bolt. It held up fine on my 318 autoX car.

I'll be using the same ST kit on my new E30.
                          Not sure, but I think you're still confused. The mounts you're talking about are the weld in triangle pieces that reinforce the trailing arms. He needs the beefier bolt in reinforcements the bolt up to the body.
                          -Brandon
                          '86 325es S50
                          '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                          '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                          '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                          S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es
                            Not sure, but I think you're still confused. The mounts you're talking about are the weld in triangle pieces that reinforce the trailing arms. He needs the beefier bolt in reinforcements the bolt up to the body.
                            I will always be confused. Born that way, will live and die that way.

Thanks for the clarification on the welded mounts for the swaybar links.

So my point: The ST mounts worked fine with their 19mm bar.

Comment

This is what I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X