Scalloping front tires. HELP!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • deansbimmer
    replied
    Sonofabitchgawdammit. Time for new thread: How to determine if my struts are blown. :(

    Leave a comment:


  • DCColegrove
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny
    Tyres? GTFO you british kook.
    Whoops slipped out there... Goes along with kerb...

    Spent too much time in Europe.

    Tires.

    Leave a comment:


  • Danny
    replied
    Tyres? GTFO you british kook.

    Leave a comment:


  • DCColegrove
    replied
    Originally posted by E30_fiend
    he already said his whole front end was replaced. that narrows it down to balance of wheels. but if you think about that, he would feel that in the steering wheel for sure.
    Just looked at the tyres... Didn't really read it (learned that here on R3V).

    Still think it's the struts.

    Leave a comment:


  • deansbimmer
    replied
    This is why I'm stumped. The shocks are Koni Yellow adjustables. Set on stiff. 450lb front springs. I bought the suspension setup used from a board member, so with the unknown history of the shocks, it may tempt me to suspect them. I'll pull them out this weekend and inspect them. How much would sending them off for rebuild cost?

    The CABs, arms, tie rods, and all other bushings/balljoints are new. New Vorschlag camber plates on top.

    The tires have exhibited heel/toe wear since new. I even had it "professionally" computer alligned, but that seemed to accelerate the wear, so set it back to as close as possible to 0 as I could, which helped with the heel/toe wear.

    I feel no bouncing whatsoever in the front suspension which may or may not rule out worn struts, but I do notice that the suspension bottoms out more easily than I think it should for being set as stiff as possible. AARRG. I have about 5K miles on this suspension since buying it used.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30_fiend
    replied
    Originally posted by DCColegrove
    Tire is bouncing be it from bad dampening or ballance...

    This will also happen with bad ball joints or other loose shit in the suspension.

    Toe out will shred them as well.


    he already said his whole front end was replaced. that narrows it down to balance of wheels. but if you think about that, he would feel that in the steering wheel for sure.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30_fiend
    replied
    i would say abnormal premature tire wear due to a manufacture defect. and i have one question, did you by chance replace the upper strut mounts?

    Leave a comment:


  • DCColegrove
    replied
    Tire is bouncing be it from bad dampening or ballance...

    This will also happen with bad ball joints or other loose shit in the suspension.

    Toe out will shred them as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • deansbimmer
    replied
    There is absolutely no rubbing anywhere at anytime.

    Leave a comment:


  • theox69
    replied
    maybe they rub on the inside when you're turning?

    Leave a comment:


  • deansbimmer
    replied
    No rubbing anywhere on my car. Yes, running 10mm spacers (only to be able to clear the brake calipers). This is the tread face scalloping, not the sidewall. :(

    Leave a comment:


  • E30_Pare
    replied
    maybe your rubbing.. spacers?

    Leave a comment:


  • deansbimmer
    started a topic Scalloping front tires. HELP!

    Scalloping front tires. HELP!

    I'm at my wits end with this. I haven't been stumped like this in a while. My front tires are scalloping on the inside, on both driver and passenger sides. The whole front end is new. I cannot find anything worn out. In picking up the car and trying to move the front wheel assembly, it is rock solid, nothing moves.

    In about 5k miles, the new Eagle F1 front tires have been worn down to less than 1/16" tread in the scalloped area! The toe is adjusted as close to zero as possible, but it feels as though it may have a bit of toe out. The car pulls straight ahead with no shimmies or vibrations at any speed.

    WTF!! F(&%$(@#K :hitler:



Working...