Click image for larger version

Name:	F584CD36-01F0-405A-B3C2-60C5F92F43C2.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	9913825 Click image for larger version

Name:	457E0CAD-DC28-40BF-9C10-69BCE93CC1C9.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	9913824 Hi everyone! I’ve scoured the forums like crazy and maybe it’s install error, but I had to use the other hole in the subframe for my z3 rack. I can’t get the rack to line up in the other hole. Now I have a small amount of vibration from the pan barely touching the rack. Has anyone run into this before? I have thought about grinding down the small bump on the rack and that would probably work. I’ve attached photos. Anyone with similar situation?

Did you use spacers, and if so are they on top?
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Yep. Used spacers and they’re on top. I dremmeled about an 1/8th” from the rack where it touched the oil pan. That helped with fitment. I’m still going to try and figure out how to get the rack in the original holes.

Comment

Motor mounts shot? Subframe tweaked? If it's an OE z3 rack then it should fit without issue...
        "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Just had this same issue yesterday with my e46 rack. I could've sworn I had fit it in the other holes before, but it won't now. Seems like they steering shaft is what is preventing it from moving in that direction

Comment

That’s what’s happening with mine. It’s the steering shaft.

Comment

You need to modify (shorten) the steering knuckle. Get the garagistic kit IMO. You shouldn't just move the rack itself forward, that'll mess up all sorts of steering geometry.
              "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

This is an airbag wheel so I’m not sure you can shorten the steering knuckle. If it was a non-airbag wheel then I could. Any other thoughts?

Comment

Just fixed mine today. It was in the front holes but now in the back holes. To do this make sure that the splined shaft coming from the rack is all the way in the knuckle. If it still does not line up, make sure that the steering knuckle is as far up the steering shaft as it can go. (To do both of these take out the bolt and try to separate the joint)

If neither of those fix it, then you need to adjust the steering column. Remove the panel right above the pedals ( mine had a couple M8 screws holding it in) and you will see the steering shaft with a big nut on it. It is size 32. You will have to turn it clockwise to loosen it, it is backwards. It may be a good idea to use some penetrant, because that thing was very tight on mine. Once it is loose, the shaft will be able to move in or out and your rack will be able to line up with the correct holes in the subframe.

Comment

Working...
                  X