Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H&R Super Sports Springs - Ride Quality/Any Experiences?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    H&R Super Sports Springs - Ride Quality/Any Experiences?

    Hi All, I’ve been doing some research on the forums and haven’t heard much experience on the H&R Super Sport Springs (thus me creating this thread). I’m wanting to refresh my suspension set-up with a goal of lowering the car as much possible without sacrificing too much of the ride quality as I would like to be using this as a DD. I’ve read that with coilovers you pretty much sacrifice all of the ride quality and have heard better experiences with just replacing the shocks and springs at a fraction of the cost. Majority of the reviews I’ve read were on H&R Sport Springs and Bilstein Shocks, where many have said the ride is still comfortable and is able to achieve a lower stance. However, I wanted to go a bit more lower than what the H&R Sport Springs offered and wanted to see if anyone had tried the H&R Super Sport Springs and hear your experience on them?



    My main question is, how is the ride quality with the Super Sport Springs with upgraded shocks? Is the ride quality still comfortable compared to the regular sports springs or the same compared to coil overs?



    I’m thinking of picking up the H&R Super Sports Springs and pairing them with some Bilstein Shocks. Open to hearing some feedback if there are any other better set-ups.



    As a FYI – will be running 17x8 wheels with 215/45-17 tires.



    Appreciate anyone’s input on this. Thanks Guys!



    #2
    Ride quality is going to vary between people, but for a daily driver you may want to consider Koni Sport shocks & struts with adjustable rebound. Bilsteins are good quality, but they have a firmer ride over a Koni. For drop-in spring choices, the Super Sport seems to drop the car quite a bit (similar to the stiffer H&R Race springs), and are likely similar in spring rate to the regular H&R Sport, so you may risk bottoming out the shocks.

    For a daily driver, Bilstein or Koni with H&R Sport is probably the best bet if you're ok with it not sitting as low. If you want more of a drop though, H&R Race or coilovers are a better choice since they'll have increased spring rates to compensate for the ride height (for off-the-shelf shocks, I'd choose a Koni for the stiffer/lower setups). Coilovers don't necessarily sacrifice ride quality, they just need the shocks to be valved to match the increased spring rates (which is why companies like Ground Control offer their coilover systems as a complete package). Fresh rubber bushings can also keep the ride quality civil, even with increased spring rates.

    Another thing to consider is that 215/45-17 is about .7-inch taller than the stock rolling diameter (may run into clearance issues). For a 17-inch wheel, 215/40-17 is closer to the correct rolling diameter. Having tried 15, 16, and 17-inch wheels, the ride is definitely more comfortable with the smaller diameter wheels and extra tire sidewall.

    Just my two cents from experience, but hopefully this helps a bit!
    Last edited by mtech325; 10-20-2020, 10:07 AM.

    Comment


      #3
      I have been running Super Sports on my 318is for 3 summers now and love them. Paired with Koni adjustable yellow struts. So far I have zero complaints with the right height or price, although I will be doing E90 hats on the front to get just a bit more low next summer. I daily drive my car some times in the summer, around downtown Toronto and into the back country twisities and it handles everything very well.
      Steve • Toronto
      1991 318is • Brillantrot
      Build Thread

      Comment


        #4
        Here are some pics of how the car currently sits with the H&R Supers and Koni Yellows. No E90 hats yet though...

        Click image for larger version

Name:	penEUlC.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	9956905

        Click image for larger version

Name:	kzpCY0X.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	9956906
        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

        Comment


          #5
          sits irie

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
            Ride quality is going to vary between people, but for a daily driver you may want to consider Koni Sport shocks & struts with adjustable rebound. Bilsteins are good quality, but they have a firmer ride over a Koni. For drop-in spring choices, the Super Sport seems to drop the car quite a bit (similar to the stiffer H&R Race springs), and are likely similar in spring rate to the regular H&R Sport, so you may risk bottoming out the shocks.

            For a daily driver, Bilstein or Koni with H&R Sport is probably the best bet if you're ok with it not sitting as low. If you want more of a drop though, H&R Race or coilovers are a better choice since they'll have increased spring rates to compensate for the ride height (for off-the-shelf shocks, I'd choose a Koni for the stiffer/lower setups). Coilovers don't necessarily sacrifice ride quality, they just need the shocks to be valved to match the increased spring rates (which is why companies like Ground Control offer their coilover systems as a complete package). Fresh rubber bushings can also keep the ride quality civil, even with increased spring rates.

            Another thing to consider is that 215/45-17 is about .7-inch taller than the stock rolling diameter (may run into clearance issues). For a 17-inch wheel, 215/40-17 is closer to the correct rolling diameter. Having tried 15, 16, and 17-inch wheels, the ride is definitely more comfortable with the smaller diameter wheels and extra tire sidewall.

            Just my two cents from experience, but hopefully this helps a bit!
            Thanks mtech325 this info was very helpful!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Powling View Post
              I have been running Super Sports on my 318is for 3 summers now and love them. Paired with Koni adjustable yellow struts. So far I have zero complaints with the right height or price, although I will be doing E90 hats on the front to get just a bit more low next summer. I daily drive my car some times in the summer, around downtown Toronto and into the back country twisities and it handles everything very well.
              Thanks for sharing Powling! Looks great and based on what mtech325 mentioned, looks like the Koni Sport Shocks & Struts are the way to go with the H&R Super Sport Springs. I may just end up going that route based on your feedback considering you've had it for over 3 years now!

              Comment


                #8
                I have eibach springs (I want H&R super sports as well) and Bilstein B8s, the ride is excellent. I don't know mtech325 experience with Koni vs Blistein (or which ones were used), but the Bilsteins are smooth. My comparison is to a 545i oem suspension, it's very similar. The spring rate themselves are going to make the ride harsh. I got my e30 with raceland "coilovers" and its ride was harsh and just poor. I don't think you would be disappointed with either on the ride, they just are not valved aggressively. The springs will make the difference. And on a side note, a buddy of mine installed the H&R race springs on his car and it rides a lot better then I thought. I was expecting a firm ride, but it was comparable to my setup. Just too low for my taste.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by jbontke View Post
                  I have eibach springs (I want H&R super sports as well) and Bilstein B8s, the ride is excellent. I don't know mtech325 experience with Koni vs Blistein (or which ones were used), but the Bilsteins are smooth. My comparison is to a 545i oem suspension, it's very similar. The spring rate themselves are going to make the ride harsh. I got my e30 with raceland "coilovers" and its ride was harsh and just poor. I don't think you would be disappointed with either on the ride, they just are not valved aggressively. The springs will make the difference. And on a side note, a buddy of mine installed the H&R race springs on his car and it rides a lot better then I thought. I was expecting a firm ride, but it was comparable to my setup. Just too low for my taste.
                  jbontke thanks for the feedback, this is great to know. Also very interesting to hear that the race springs ride decent. Do you know if the race springs ride lower than the H&R Super Sports? I was trying to compare the drop between both springs by using a website that had them for sale and it mentioned that they have the same drop. If the ride quality isn’t too bad, I may consider the race springs if it provides a lower stance. Thanks!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I don't have personal experience with the H&R super sports, so I cant comment on the ride height. But here is a comparison between the Race and Sports ride height:
                    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...rt-spring-pics

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I'm coming from chopped springs, so the ride height is VEEEERY low, and its ride comfort is like a go-kart with concrete wheels. You feel every road crack easily. Replacing all the struts with Bilstein B8 did make a difference, probably because the previous struts were so worn out.

                      But I want to keep a low ride. So I will use either H&R Race or the Super Sports.

                      I am in two minds about this. Maybe the Race springs are safer, due to being a bit firmer? Or maybe the Super Sports is just right for the E30? As the OP says, there is almost nothing about the Super Sports for E30 on the internet.

                      There is also this issue with some saying the Race are fine for DD and other hating them. This is really subjective. Some people have no issues with a race suspension, and for others it really bothers them.
                      Last edited by agisthos; 01-19-2021, 12:55 AM.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        This is so freaking awesome that you guy shared this knowledge 👏

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I made these some time ago but never shared. I went from OEM, to a H&R Cup Kit and H&R 50406's (Super Sports). Here is a comparison. Sorry about the lighting in some shots:
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	HnR_profile.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.7 KB ID:	9975771

                          Some measurements (front, rear, and then to a Red46 skid plate. OEM top row, Super sport 50406 middle, cup kit bottom):
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	HnR_heights.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	9975772

                          With both H&R setups I have a 20mm spring pad and IE Spring spacer in the rear for some rake. Late model tucked too much for my liking. The Cup kit was too low for me. The 50406's got the look i wanted and the ride quality also.

                          Tires are 195 60/14. Entire suspension has been refreshed. Been running 50406's for almost 5 years now.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Here is a picture from last August 2020 with it fully settled on 50406s:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7185_1920x1080_stripped.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	9975774

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by rmdashrf View Post
                              I made these some time ago but never shared. I went from OEM, to a H&R Cup Kit and H&R 50406's (Super Sports). Here is a comparison. Sorry about the lighting in some shots:
                              Click image for larger version Name:	HnR_profile.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.7 KB ID:	9975771

                              Some measurements (front, rear, and then to a Red46 skid plate. OEM top row, Super sport 50406 middle, cup kit bottom):
                              Click image for larger version Name:	HnR_heights.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	9975772

                              With both H&R setups I have a 20mm spring pad and IE Spring spacer in the rear for some rake. Late model tucked too much for my liking. The Cup kit was too low for me. The 50406's got the look i wanted and the ride quality also.

                              Tires are 195 60/14. Entire suspension has been refreshed. Been running 50406's for almost 5 years now.
                              What shocks are you running in your car?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X