X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI: H&R Race vs. Sport spring pics

Sport on left, Race on right

Race on left, Sport on right

Ride height stayed identical, didn't change one bit. I have e90 drop hats installed. I didn't even bother taking an after pic, because it's literally the same. Tire size is 205/50/16. No spring pads front or rear. Sports have tons of miles on them, races have ~5k miles, so both are settled.

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Thanks for the pictures! No drop aye? Is your car close to stock weight?

I've wondered if a lighter car would experience more of a drop between the two based on the cars inability to compress the "sport" springs closer to the ground. I've got sports right now (essentially picked them up for free) but I feel like I ride higher than most people on sports.
    -------------------------------------------------
    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

That car is 2720 lbs. The red car in the background, my track car, is 2410 lb, and with those H&R Race springs (that's where they came from), sat higher then my tan car. I agree, it's due to the inability to compress them. But I don't think Sports would be any higher.

Basically all I proved here is that H&R Race has the same ride height as H&R Sport, but the Races offer a much more desirable spring rate, unless you drive on cobblestone daily. I think they are actually better matched to Bilstein Sports then the sport springs are. My Sports used to bottom out all the time, these don't come close. And the body roll is gone, as is the horrible dipping in the rear when getting on the throttle hard in 1st/2nd.

I'd recommend Races over Sports any day.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
        That car is 2720 lbs. The red car in the background, my track car, is 2410 lb, and with those H&R Race springs (that's where they came from), sat higher then my tan car. I agree, it's due to the inability to compress them. But I don't think Sports would be any higher.
        Great info, thanks!.

Basically all I proved here is that H&R Race has the same ride height as H&R Sport, but the Races offer a much more desirable spring rate, unless you drive on cobblestone daily.
        At a given weight. Presumably if you added another 1000 to each wheel that the sport would compress and drop further than the race. And in fact we can see that completely unloaded that the sport are taller than the race.

I drive between (basically) POrtland and Seattle a lot. I used to ignore "Bump ahead" signs around construction when I had a stock setup. My E46 glides over them like they aren't there. The first time I ignored that pump on sports springs I just about ate my steering wheel

I can't image race would be good for daily driving. But on the weekend car? Yeah, that's what I hope to eventually put on my E30.
        -------------------------------------------------
        1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
        2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

good info

H&R Race all day over Sports. You can't beat it.
          GRIPPY'S*GARAGE

Comment

Cool thread, thanks. I went Sports because I was worried about DD oil pan issues. I'm tired of the body roll and think I'll switch.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
              That car is 2720 lbs.
              Weird, that's exactly what mine weighed in at with 1/2 tank of gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Earendil View Post
                I can't image race would be good for daily driving. But on the weekend car? Yeah, that's what I hope to eventually put on my E30.
                My problem was, the Sports are so soft, that coupled with the e90 drop hats, they would bottom out ALL the time. So the ride was actually worse. It got to the point where my radio was shutting off, glove box was falling open, etc... (I drive on some pretty bad roads) When the shock bottoms out, you have zero give. My shock towers actually started to crack, and I'm 99% sure that's why. With the Race springs, it doesn't bottom out, and the ride overall is smoother. I would 100% recommend them for a DD. They are in no way 'harsh', IMO.

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
                Cool thread, thanks. I went Sports because I was worried about DD oil pan issues. I'm tired of the body roll and think I'll switch.
                You'll be better off with Races. Same ride height, and your suspension will compress less over bumps, so you have less chance of smacking your oil pan. And yes, the body roll with Sports is horrid, haha.

Comment

I've seen new sports that sit much higher then yours, is it possible that yours are worn out and sagging? They look pretty rusty.
                  Byron
                  Leichtbau

Comment

I thought Races were too soft in my vert but wonder if they will feel better in my 318is? I just want less body roll. I am used to coilovers in my old cars so maybe that's why?
                    My Multi car part out. Need a part? Pm me...
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=193051

Need 24v swap parts? How about a LSD? Plastic Bumpers? Or anything else click here...
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=215044

Have you done business with me? If so leave me feedback here...
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=188307

Comment

Originally posted by ill4noreason View Post
                      I thought Races were too soft in my vert but wonder if they will feel better in my 318is? I just want less body roll. I am used to coilovers in my old cars so maybe that's why?
                      Races are about perfect IMO for street cars. They do still allow some body roll. On a street car, you need to be able to absorb bumps that you usually don't experience on the track, so a softer suspension is ultimately more desirable for street use, as you can keep the tire on the ground.

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                      I've seen new sports that sit much higher then yours, is it possible that yours are worn out and sagging? They look pretty rusty.
                      Sagging? i'm sure a little. But keep in mine I have the drop hats up front (~10mm = almost half an inch), no spring pads on all 4 corners, and have a ~80lb sub/amp setup in the back. Total car weight is 2720, but I never had it corner weighted so I can't be sure of F/R. Weight has a LOT to do with it, my track car with H&R Races has a good 1" wheel gap at each corner.

Comment

What shocks are you running in those pics?
                        Shopping for suspension for my 4 door and that looks puurty.
                        Your signature picture has been removed. Refer to the Signature and Avatar Guidelines in The Rules.

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
                        I <3 dead naked girls.

Comment

your springs are sagging normally sports are 4x4 up front still. i would go with nothing less than H&R race.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aus E30 View Post
                            What shocks are you running in those pics?
                            Shopping for suspension for my 4 door and that looks puurty.
                            Bilstein Sports, but that's irrelevant to anything. Shocks and strut cartridges do not effect ride height, unless something is very wrong.

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
                            your springs are sagging normally sports are 4x4 up front still. i would go with nothing less than H&R race.

No, they aren't. As I said, I have drop hats, no spring pads, and the car is heavy (m50, large subs/amp, etc...). I have pics from when I first installed those springs years ago, the ride height didn't change up until a few months ago when I put in the drop hats and removed the spring pads.

I just installed those Sport springs in my track car and it has an inch of wheel well gap.

Comment

My 318i touring seems to sit lower than yours with m40, 15mm drop hats, and likely the same rear weight (I have no subs, but do have more metal/glass back there).

I do have oversized tires though, at 205/60R14's on stock iS weaves.

Pic for reference.
                              Last edited by Roysneon; 07-22-2011, 06:58 PM. Reason: Better pic
                              For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                              Originally posted by mbonanni
                              I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Working...
                              X