Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need some new summer tires for the iX. what is good these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need some new summer tires for the iX. what is good these days?

Had the Hankook Ventus V2's until now. Looks like they have a new "concept 2" version. Failry priced at about $93 per tire. Any recommends?
    sigpic

What size? I've been looking as well. I don't really want to go undersized, but 205/55R15 is not a common size, and 225/50 are usually race tires.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

correction, the ones I have been using are the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2. the reviews are still good for these, and since I will only run them from late may-Oct I might just get a new set. Size for me is 215/45/17. I would consider going wider if I thought they could fit. You probably know more about fitment than me.

sigpic

Comment

in 17", that's a pretty good size. Anything wider and you'll pretty much end up with too tall of a sidewall and it will definitely rub.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm looking at the Kumho Exta PS31 as a "regular" summer tire:

it comes in 205/55R15 and seems like it'd be suited to my environment. The only bummer is no tire shops here carry it, I'd have to order it online and bring them in loose.

There are few options in 205/55R15, most of them are lame or even inadequately rated for the car. There are more options in 225/50R15, but most of those are competition tires, which I have ran in the past (actually, like the last 10 years lol), but I don't do a lot of that these days, and I want something more comfortable and less noisy.

There are also a couple in 205/50R15 and 225/45R15, like the good old Falken Azenis RT615, but for a street tire that undersized profile will bug me (nearly an inch in diameter).

Maybe if I pick up a 3rd set of wheels, I could put snow tires on those, and use the stock ix wheels for all seasons and my 949s with track tires (where I don't care about the diameter as much). I kind of like the original look with the stock wheels (and spacers of course, lol), but cleaning them all summer long is a pain in the ass.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
          X