Rescuing a set of classic euro wheels - 16" ACT weaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rescuing a set of classic euro wheels - 16" ACT weaves

I was going to keep these on the DL until I got them installed, but I thought it might be fun to share the rescuing of a classic, and fairly rare euro wheel. The rollers in question are a set of four 16 x 7.5" ACT weaves, 5 x 120, ET35. I purchased them from Curt (Van Westervelt) in April in the condition you see here.

No bends, no curb rash, no real physical damage to speak of. The finish, however, is beyond bad. The clearcoat on all 4 wheels is badly deteriorated, and chipping/flaking away in huge flakes, leaving the metal underneath exposed to the elements. Who knows how long they sat in this condition.

But they will be saved! I am having them powdercoated in Mirror Silver with clearcoat, which should be happening very soon. I ordered the powder today, and when it gets here, I will be sending them off to a local shop to have them blasted and then coated. I will post more pics once they are sandblasted, and then after they are coated.

I will be mounting them on my car using 20mm 4x100-to-5x120 adapters in the front, and 25mm in the rear, putting them at a final offset of ET15 and ET10, respectively. Tires will be Yokohama Parada Spec 2, in 205/45/16.

I'm excited to see the finished product man. I want to refinish my eventually because the rears have some curb rash from p/o.
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

My borbet's are the same way. want to see how this turns out.
      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Heh, I have the same BFG E36 M3 poster, got it back in '98 or so.

Good luck with the refinishing!

Comment

my style 5s looked worse it was such a pain in the asss.
          you have to use air craft striper and it takes multiple times to remove clear coat.wish they made a wheel just like that 4 bolt love the look.

Comment

I wouldnt bother using stripper, its so labor intensive. He's got the right idea by blasting them. I was so close to buying those wheels. I was literally ready to press submit payment, when my voice of reason magically drained my paypal account. Oh well, theyll come around again.
            -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
            2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

Comment

Soda blast them and then powdercoat them. Seems every set of Ronal/ACT's I see have the same finish issues. I have a set of 15x8 5x120 ones that had the same issues, I tossed mine in my blaster and they did not come out all that well as my aggregate was to aggressive.
              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

What happened, did they become pitted? Ive seen mixed results on sand/soda/media blasting aluminum. Sometimes they will pit, but not if you know what your doing. Im desperatly looking for 15x8 in 5x120 btw- (fairly low et) Just incase you have any interest selling them.
                -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
                2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

Comment

Can't wait to see these on your car!

Comment

Glad they are going to finally see the love that I wanted to give em! lol
                    sigpic

Comment

i think you should go with 225/40-16
                      http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Nah, too wide. I want either perfectly vertical sidewalls, even just a little tiny bit of stretch, if I can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                          Nah, too wide. I want either perfectly vertical sidewalls, even just a little tiny bit of stretch, if I can get it.
                          Funny, I just mounted some 225-45-16 on 9 inch wheels and thankfully there was very minor stretch as I can't stand stretched wheels.

I agree I like my sidewalls like pants straight leg.
                          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                            I've seen too many rare wheels ruined by blasting them, regardless of the media, your going to remove some of the alloy because of the process. Your much better off doing a hot soda ash dip - it will take off everything & not remove any of the wheel, leaving the fine detail.

dip/stripped
                            Attached Files
                            [I

Comment

after paint & polish

There is a company in Anaheim called Lenco that does the stripping cheap.
                              Attached Files
                              [I

Comment

Working...
                              X