Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Suggestions

Hey Guys,

So I am looking into new tires... Went to hit an AutoX this morning and noticed that my left rear tire has a nice 3 inch gash in my contact patch....soooo.

Looking first of all for a nice 215/40-17 tire, currently have ES100's and I've been pretty happy with them, however I would like to know if there is something better out there.

My general rules are excellent dry performance (keeping in mind my -3 rear camber and -1.8 front camber configuration) decent wet performance... don't care about snow or anything, as I won't be driving in that.

Don't really care about life, the car is not a daily driver.

My 2nd question is. I would not mind having a spare set of rims/tires around just in case. So what is a good cheap/decent autox/track tire that I can toss on the stock bottlecaps?

No real price limit here

I was checking out TireRack's website the other day. Here is a couple suggestions I spotted.....

For the 17s, check out the BF-Goodrich g-Force. Rated as a summer tire, these go for $95/ea. and it received some respectable marks when put through the comparisons TireRack does with the products they carry. The second one is the Kumho ECSTA MX. Rated as a summer tire as well, its listed at $99/ea. and in the comparison of similar tires, this one just squeaked by the BF-G g-Force I mentioned above.

As for the 14s, if you want a cheap tire for the b-caps for auto-x, etc. get some Azenis Sports. Slightly undersized at 195/60s, they are cheap.....about $55 each (tires.com) and are great for dry weather and track day work. Treadwear rating is 200 for these so don't expect to get a lot of miles from them. Maybe 10K if you're careful. I did a write up on these under the product review page if you want to learn more.

Jon

P.S. If you're feeling generous with the wallet, Bridgestone Potenza S-03s for the 17s are going for $180 each.
    Rides...
    1991 325i - sold :(
    2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Falken Azenis RT-615 for both. 8) 195/60/14 is the size for the caps.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
        Are those available now? I kept hearing conflicting rumors about when these were due to be released. If they are in fact available, who carries them?

I'm not in the market for tires at the moment, but will be in due time 8)

Jon
        Rides...
        1991 325i - sold :(
        2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i
          Originally posted by Mystikal
          Are those available now? I kept hearing conflicting rumors about when these were due to be released. If they are in fact available, who carries them?

I'm not in the market for tires at the moment, but will be in due time 8)

Jon
          They've been out for over a month now. www.vulcantire.com The SCCA guys are giving very favourable reviews from what I've seen, good stuff.

Comment

I have 215/40/17 Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S on Alpina Kopi's and they're awesome. My old Yoko's were noisy, tramlined, and were terrible in the wet. The Pirellis are super quiet, stopped the tramlining problem I had, are excellent in the rain, and saved my ass when I almost got snowed in up in Whistler BC. I highly recommend these tires if you want a high performance all season tire.

Comment

es-100 = horrible in the rain. parada spec-2 = very good in rain. thas all the input i have :roll:
              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Working...
              X