Star Spec vs Azenis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Spec vs Azenis

Our LeMons team is trying to decide which tires to run. From what I've found, the only performance choices for a 14" wheel with a >190 treadwear are either the Dunlop Star Specs or the Falken Azenis. Looking at both in a 195/60-14.

I've looked online for comparisons, but I can't find many people that have used the new Falken 615k compound. Apparently it's an improved compound over the 615.

Also, where's the cheapest place to buy? Best price I've found is $94/each for both.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Star specs, hands down. Especially in an endurance type race. They won't get greasy after a few laps like the Azenis. (Can't speak for the new "k" compund. ) I had star specs on the white car and on the track with 175 wheel horsepower they held on great and wore like iron, go with them and you won't be disappointed.

Comment

Thanks, Danny. I think we're leaning toward the Star Specs. Just wanted to get some affirmation. Hoping that someone has experience with the new Azenis... they jacked up the price on them quite a bit too.

Comment

Tire Rack is the only place that sells the Star Specs, so you're stuck with their prices. We got our Azenis from Vulcan Tire.

We've used both (as well as the Nitto NT-05), but only raced on the Star Specs at CA Speedway. That track we ran on was an absolute joke and included parts of the access road. It tore our tires up. I have Star Specs on my E30 as track rubber. I think the Azenis are more durable, but I hear on a smooth track their wear is comparable, possibly better on the SS. They both have very progressive breakaway and communicate well. You can't go wrong with either one, really; I liked 'em both a ton.

The big difference is that the Star Specs have treads that look like they'd channel rain, whereas the Azenis have big blocks that do poorly in the wet. The Nittos did not like the cold and took a good few laps to get solid heat in them. I had trouble getting any heat in them when it was cold and wet out.
        sigpic
        -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

Thanks for the info, Sean! Exactly the type of feedback we're looking for.

BTW, you have my vote for best username on R3v hahaha!

Comment

I run star specs on my 2002 and absolutely love them. Just ordered some more yesterday. I have run the A Z's as well, but do not like them as much.
            I have never been on a track on them but have done some auto x and mountain runs on them and I feel that the A Z's loose performance ones they get nice and hot.
            I just think the star specs feel better all around.
            Last edited by deutschman; 01-21-2011, 09:23 AM.
            sigpic
            "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
              Thanks for the info, Sean! Exactly the type of feedback we're looking for.

BTW, you have my vote for best username on R3v hahaha!
              Thanks. I had a hard time coming up with it. Took me at least 4 hours.
              sigpic
              -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

Originally posted by priapism View Post
                Thanks. I had a hard time coming up with it. Took me at least 4 hours.
                i see what you did there.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

lol

Comment

I ran Azenis in the '08 Autocross season and really enjoyed them. They did get a little greasy on hot days and my garden sprayer was working full time. I ran the Star Specs last year and will never look back. Running similar courses I was turning better times and I refuse to believe that I became a better driver. :) Definitely worth the extra few bucks.

Comment

The new 615K (same tread, new compound) is supposed to be better at handling heat. However, I've read no confirmations on that yet.

Star Specs seem to be a safe bet. I've yet to hear of anyone who's unhappy with them. We have them on one of our MINI's and love them. Strictly a Summer/weekend car, though...

The RS-3 apparently likes a bit of heat.

I wish they made the Star Spec in more sizes. :(
                      '88 325is: Diamond Schwartz; 210K miles; Koni SA; H&R springs; poly bushings (sold)
                      '03 TDi Wagon; 5 spd (Ho-hum DD; 326K miles and counting...)
                      '64 Morris Mini Cooper (w/e vintage toy #1)
                      '72 Triumph GT6 (w/e vintage toy #2)
                      '73 Volvo 1800ES (future vintage restomod project)

Comment

FWIW - I'll be running the Star Spec on my Chump car. No previous experience on the SS, and only experience on older Azenis. But with the reviews and the tread pattern, its hard not to go with the SS's.
                        Ben
                        Thelma-Louise, the '88is Chump Car - back to M20 power!

2014 ChumpCar Season Schedule!
                        April 5-6 Autobahn, IL - Sat: 1st! Sun: 3rd
                        May23-25 Watkins Glen, NY: 4th, 5th, 4th
                        October 4 PittRace Sprints: 2nd in C-class
                        October 18-19 NCM, Bowling Green KY: 2nd, 1st!
                        Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Find us on FB! Schaut Speed Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                        X