BBS Style 5 Refinishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBS Style 5 Refinishing

So, I'll start by admitting I have been negligent. My E28 has a set of Style 5's with polished lips and I haven't kept up with them. This weekend, I was sick of looking at the lips the way they were and for the first time in a long while I wasn't working, so I spent all day Saturday remedying the problem. I realize this is not a complete refinish, but it's the best I could do with the wheels and tires still mounted. I took a bunch of pictures along the way, so here they are.

This is the polish that I used throughout this entire process

This is what I was starting with, all 4 wheels looked like this

I started by just using the polish on the wheels

I was rather impressed at how the Mother's polish did, but I still wasn't satisfied, so on to wet sanding

Here is after 2000 Grit wetsanding

Here it is polished out after the wetsanding

I only tested a small area as you can see above. I was happy with the results, so I went ahead and wetsanded the entire wheel.

Back to polishing after wetsanding

All polished out

I was happy with that result, but the back lip was still ugly.

I took polish and went in-between and around each of the bolts. This was the most time-consuming (and painful) part of this entire process.

Here is the wheel all done. Disregard the green tape, I was using it to mark what I had done.

All-in-all, the first wheel took me 2.5 hours to do. I was figuring everything out and went slowly. After that, each wheel took about an hour. Overall, I'm very happy with how they turned out and I will definitely keep up with them in the future so they never get back to that level. I'll leave it with a before and after that really shows the difference between what I started with and what I ended up with. :D

Last edited by bubbajan21; 07-06-2011, 05:58 PM.

wow. pain in the ass.

pics of the whole car done?

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
    And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Comment

Comment

You inspire me...no homo

1989 325i Alpine White
        69 STX

Comment

Where in mass did you take those water shots? That looks like a place in Maine I know.. it would be nice not to have to drive that far though.

Your wheels look the exact same as what I have on my e46... I'm not looking forward to seeing what they look like after I've been in Germany for 8 months.. :(
          Greg

Comment

The water shot was taken in Rockport, MA.

Comment

Hmmm constructive criticism here...why do people not plate the bolts when refinishing these wheels? Chroming or zinc plating the bolts will make a huge difference. In every picture, I was just focusing on the bolts thinking how bad they make the wheel look. Good job on the polish but it would look 100x better with better bolts.

"I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I got mine plated. I was quoted up to $1 per bolt. That adds up real quick. In the end i called in a favor.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

+1 on plating the bolts.

But nice e28

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
                  hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
                  And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by bubbajan21 View Post
                    I realize this is not a complete refinish, but it's the best I could do with the wheels and tires still mounted.
                    Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                    Hmmm constructive criticism here...why do people not plate the bolts when refinishing these wheels? Chroming or zinc plating the bolts will make a huge difference. In every picture, I was just focusing on the bolts thinking how bad they make the wheel look. Good job on the polish but it would look 100x better with better bolts.
                    I may replace the bolts a little later down the line. Where did you have them Zinc plated and how much did it cost you? My only hesitation is that I would have to take the wheels off of the car, take the tires off of the wheels, send out the bolts, reassemble, remount tires, and put them on the car. At this point in time, the cost, time, and effort are not worth the benefit (although I definitely agree the bolts need to be shiny again at some point). Like I said, it's not a complete refinish, that may come later.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbajan21 View Post
                      My only hesitation is that I would have to take the wheels off of the car, take the tires off of the wheels, send out the bolts, reassemble, remount tires, and put them on the car.
                      Style 5s are 2 piece not 3. The bolts will come off without unmounting the rubber.
                      www.eurowinnipeg.com
                      www.E30S38.com
                      E30 Mtec2-S38 | V10 TDI treg | E34 M5 | E39 M5 | Corrado turbo VR6

Comment

I want to plate my bolts. Where are you guys getting it done? someone PM some contact info! They are ready to be shipped!
                        2008 335i - n54b30
                        1991 318i - m52b28
                        1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

Nice turnaround! These wheels would look great with some black/silver BBS center caps.
                          -Justin

sigpic

Current: BMWless for now... '15 Grand Cherokee & '03 Mach 1

Comment

Very nice.
                            Big props.

Perfect wheels for that car btw.. lovin the storm trooper e28. Perfect balance of contrast and chrome.
                            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by Sharino View Post
                              Style 5s are 2 piece not 3. The bolts will come off without unmounting the rubber.
                              Then maybe I will think about it depending on what plating costs.

Originally posted by cabin View Post
                              Nice turnaround! These wheels would look great with some black/silver BBS center caps.
                              Thanks!

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
                              Very nice.
                              Big props.

Perfect wheels for that car btw.. lovin the storm trooper e28. Perfect balance of contrast and chrome.
                              Hahaha, I love it! Storm Trooper E28!:D

Thanks for the compliment.

Originally posted by drumad View Post
                              I want to plate my bolts. Where are you guys getting it done? someone PM some contact info! They are ready to be shipped!
                              If you find a place to get it done, can you please post back here the place and price, or if you would prefer, you can PM me the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X