Wheels falling off...help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheels falling off...help

Got these from my neighbors 90's Civic, 17 in Konigs with 225 40 mismatched rubber.... Went down the road to try them out after swapping them on and started getting serious looseness and got back home to check it out and ended up with 1 lug out of the 4 left holding the left front rim on (just barely)..... one lug got stripped, retightened all 4 wheels as they all got loose, took it less than 1/4 mile down the road and could hear and feel them loosening again, I used my stock BMW lugs and no spacers, what do I need to do to get them to stay on the car.... Thanks
    Attached Files
    Now on my 26th BMW...

A protein shake.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

What are you torquing them to? needs to be 85-90'ish lb/ft I believe.
      '87 325i

Comment

Are those even hubcentric/do you have hubcentric rings? Most Honda 4-lugs are 56.1mm centerbore, E30 is 57.1mm. And are the OEM lug bolts long enough? Could be that the wheel is too thick and you not getting enough threads into the hub.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
          Are those even hubcentric/do you have hubcentric rings? Most Honda 4-lugs are 56.1mm centerbore, E30 is 57.1mm. And are the OEM lug bolts long enough? Could be that the wheel is too thick and you not getting enough threads into the hub.
          if what is being said here is true. the wheels wont go hard back to the hub. this is seriously poor if youve missed that. and the wheels would wooble all over the show and come off in spectacular style. besides. if they off a honda they are tainted haha

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
            A protein shake.
            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

It's your E30 telling you those wheels look like ass.
              Originally posted by TSI
              ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
              OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by _r2h View Post
                What are you torquing them to? needs to be 85-90'ish lb/ft I believe.
                Had not torqued them will give that a try...

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
                Lugs seem to go in their full depth, the wheel is not too thick at the hub...
                Originally posted by e30leigh View Post
                if what is being said here is true. the wheels wont go hard back to the hub. this is seriously poor if youve missed that. and the wheels would wooble all over the show and come off in spectacular style. besides. if they off a honda they are tainted haha
                They seem to go hard back...
                Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                It's your E30 telling you those wheels look like ass.
                I thought they looked decent, especially for $125 bucks, plus they are giving me another full set of tires for them....
                Now on my 26th BMW...

Comment

Originally posted by tomwas View Post
                  I thought they looked decent
                  You thought wrong.

They really do not suit the car at all. Especially at stock ride height.

You should seriously just try to get some 14" or 15" iX weaves if you are on a budget. They would look much nicer.

You car looks pretty clean. It deserves nicer wheels.
                  sigpic

Buy and sell your E30s and E30 parts on E30 Marketplace!

Comment

I tightened them with my torque wrench and they are secure now, thanks to those that know how to offer assistance with out being an ass....^^
                    Now on my 26th BMW...

Comment

Oem lugs generally have a different taper than aftermarket wheels. Determine if your lugs are conical or ball, and then check the wheel, your most likely mismatched and the wheels will possibly work themselves loose again.

Comment

You should recheck them after a ride. It sounds like you might need hub center rings, even with the recent torqued bolts.

Here is a good way to check: if you can put your rim on your hub (lugbolts removed) and wiggle your rim, even a little bit, then you need a centering ring. Any amount of play will eventually walk the lugbolts right out.

Also, make sure you are using the proper lugbolts with the appropriate taper.

Comment

Originally posted by gp.plus View Post
                          Oem lugs generally have a different taper than aftermarket wheels. Determine if your lugs are conical or ball, and then check the wheel, your most likely mismatched and the wheels will possibly work themselves loose again.
                          Originally posted by PeteD View Post
                          You should recheck them after a ride. It sounds like you might need hub center rings, even with the recent torqued bolts.
                          Think they are both conical but not 100%, will verify that...
                          Here is a good way to check: if you can put your rim on your hub (lugbolts removed) and wiggle your rim, even a little bit, then you need a centering ring. Any amount of play will eventually walk the lugbolts right out.

Also, make sure you are using the proper lugbolts with the appropriate taper.
                          No, they are not hub centric for sure, didn't realize this may walk them off again.... Thank you both for that info, much appreciated...
                          Now on my 26th BMW...

Comment

Ugly

Comment

Originally posted by ANDRÜ View Post
                              Ugly
                              Thank you.
                              Now on my 26th BMW...

Comment

Working...
                              X