Gotti J55b polished lip problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotti J55b polished lip problems.

So I am refinishing my J55b's, and I have worked from 400-2000 wet sand. I have this kit http://www.pjtool.com/aluminummetalpolishingkit.aspx and I am using the white compound. It is doing nothing but marring my already smooth finish. It is basically leaving sanding marks all over my lips and only provides a mirror finish when light is not shining on it. Any help?
    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
    (Daily Driver)
    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
    KW V2 Coilovers
    VRSF Catless Downpipes

I may be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere you need to use some kind of compound...

Goodluck, I like your wheels.

Comment

they are turning out sexy. Yes, I am using the white rouge compound that it comes with, along with the softest buffer. The finish is extremely mirror when turned how they will be mounted, but when I lay them down, the light reveals about 2000ish sand marks. Can aluminum ever become completely mirror like, like my car's clear coat?
      (Daily Driver)
      Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
      VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

I think it can be completely mirror, this is my bbs wheels

Before

After

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

Mine is way way way more clear than that, but put it in the light and there is micro marring
          (Daily Driver)
          Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
          VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

here are the pictures, you can see the last one where I try to show the marring.

Shitty iphone 3 pics

(Daily Driver)
            Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
            VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

nothing?
              (Daily Driver)
              Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
              VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Aluminum is very soft and it is very difficult to get a completely swirl free truly mirror finish. I gave up on it a while back :p Looks good to me!
                Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

just fine polish it with some mag polish? Man, it really is tough.
                  (Daily Driver)
                  Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
                  VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

I've used this stuff on a customer's car but it's okay. I'm not sure if it'll get you the absolute mirror finish you're looking for. Have you tried treating it like paint and using a paint compound on it? That may be the best for light marring. It seems like the polish is meant for metal in worse condition and isn't fine enough for what you're trying to achieve.
                    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

OP- judging by your comments i'm guessing you are fairly new to polishing metal. You can get aluminum to a perfect mirror finish but it will take the right products and technique.

The whole concept is to use progressively finer and finer products removing the scratches from the product before. 2000 grit is damn smooth if you have sanded all the previous grit marks out with it, but to take it to a mirror finish by hand from there is still a long way to go. You will need at least a couple different rouges and ideally a powered buffing wheel to speed things up. I think the compound you are using is bringing out enough shine to expose your sanding marks, you need to keep using the compound until the sanding marks are gone and then a finer product.

I am a perfectionist and every single time i polish something i swear i will never do it again because it is such a pain in the ass to get it perfect. Maybe thats why i have developed such a love for satin/flat finishes, hmmm...

Nice Wheels by the way!
                      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                        OP- judging by your comments i'm guessing you are fairly new to polishing metal. You can get aluminum to a perfect mirror finish but it will take the right products and technique.

The whole concept is to use progressively finer and finer products removing the scratches from the product before. 2000 grit is damn smooth if you have sanded all the previous grit marks out with it, but to take it to a mirror finish by hand from there is still a long way to go. You will need at least a couple different rouges and ideally a powered buffing wheel to speed things up. I think the compound you are using is bringing out enough shine to expose your sanding marks, you need to keep using the compound until the sanding marks are gone and then a finer product.

I am a perfectionist and every single time i polish something i swear i will never do it again because it is such a pain in the ass to get it perfect. Maybe thats why i have developed such a love for satin/flat finishes, hmmm...

Nice Wheels by the way!

Thanks!
                        I am new to polishing metal, I am used to clear coats/paint. I have the kit listed in the first post. So you are saying I need to use the brown tripoli, then white? It recommended the white rouge for anything over 2000 grit.
                        (Daily Driver)
                        Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
                        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

maybe I should use my PC 7424xp and some fine polish to eliminate the micro marring.
                          (Daily Driver)
                          Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
                          VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

That's pretty common actually. I've seen very minute scratches even on professionally polished wheels. My wheel guys do a perfect job and polishing is their specialty. My time is pretty limited so I don't bother with doing it myself. We're talking mirror finish with no visible micro scratches. The problem is, it's so clean that even the slightest abrasion will scratch/blemish the barrel. At least it can be polished out and isn't all over the wheel.

"I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

this is my plan, the centers are still at 400 grit, but I am going to get them mirror.

with black inlets
                              (Daily Driver)
                              Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
                              VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Working...
                              X