No announcement yet.

What is the best bbs rs replicas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to revive this 9 year old thread in hopes for some assistance on the same question... I've been looking for options to the original BBS RS, as the originals are becoming hard to find, not cheap, and questionable if they are straight for used wheels. As the initial thread is titled and some time has passed what is the best quality replica? I'm finding two options, the ESM 002R and JNC 004. Are there any other great quality replicas other than these two? If these are the best two options, which is the better wheel?

The JNC 031 are also a good looking wheel but not as close as the two mentioned above.

Comment

I don't know why the Ronal LS wheels slipped my mind? Anyways, I also like these wheels as well, but I'd prefer a 16" wheel and the Ronal LS is only available in 15x7.5 et25. It's hard to find specifications on the production process, how are the LS wheels manufactured? I see the weight listed at 15.7 lbs.

Comment

They're cast. Decent wheels but long out of production - also, 15x7.5 ET25 isn't going to fit a 325ix, unless you like rubbing.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          They're cast. Decent wheels but long out of production - also, 15x7.5 ET25 isn't going to fit a 325ix, unless you like rubbing.
          I no longer own the iX (it was part of my screen name back then), that one is long gone. I'm picking up an '89 alpineweiss convertible on Friday. It's in need of some new wheels and suspension. Planning on cabrio H&R sport springs and Bilstein sport or Koni sport shocks, unless coilovers is the better option..?

Seeing that the Ronal LS are no longer available I guess I'm looking at the ESM 002R or the JNC 004, both are 16x8. Which of these two options are the better wheel?

ESM 002R: 16x8 et20 cb57.1
          JNC 004: 16x8 et25 cb73.1

Comment

Probably the ESM, since they come with the right centerbore out of the box.

Unless you need adjustability or want to be slammed, H&R sport springs are probably fine for a convertible/cruiser.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

nando, I have another question for you... will a 16x8 wheel require rolling the fenders? The customer service team at Fitment Industries (who are the fitment gurus, one would think?) can't make any guarantees that the 16x8 wheels won't require fender rolling or if they will rub the wheel wells or strut assembly. They said to cover their back it's their policy (again, the fitment gurus?).

Comment

By the way, the ESM 002R also come in a 15x8. Which in theory are just as wide once the properly sized tire is mounted to achieve the correct O.D. final size.

Comment

Originally posted by eco325iX View Post
                  nando, I have another question for you... will a 16x8 wheel require rolling the fenders? The customer service team at Fitment Industries (who are the fitment gurus, one would think?) can't make any guarantees that the 16x8 wheels won't require fender rolling or if they will rub the wheel wells or strut assembly. They said to cover their back it's their policy (again, the fitment gurus?).
                  that entirely depends on tire size, ride height and alignment. A 205 tire with an overall diameter the same as stock will probably be fine, but if you go wider or taller it’s more likely you’ll have contact.

I don’t see any reason it would rub the struts or the wheel wells, but there’s so many variables on a 30 year old car - I don’t blame them for not guaranteeing it won’t rub something.

Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

After doing a little more research on the ESM 002R wheels I noticed that they have a dual bolt pattern to accommodate a 4x100 and 5x100 setup. The bolt patterns' share a common lug hole which makes two sets of the other lug holes rather close to one another. I've never seen something like this before, I'm under the impression this is safe because vendors continue to sell them. For those who are running these wheels have you had any structural issues in the casting like fissures or complete cracking? I'm just thinking about the overall safety. I had my heart set on something with a BBS RS appearance without the price tag associated with a used set of questionably straight wheels. Please let me know if I am overly concerned about the overlapping bolt pattern.

Note: here is a link to the same dual bolt pattern, scroll down and you'll see it in the 5-star wheel

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Or, please chime in if there is another option that is still sold new with the same appearance as a BBS RS?

Comment

I'm sure it's fine for the street. If you're into tracking your car, you probably aren't looking at ESM wheels anyway.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                      X