Basketweave manufacturers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basketweave manufacturers...

My old car had basketweaves made by Lemmers (sp?) while my new car's basketweaves are made by BBS. Anyone know what gives? Is there a co-relation between the manufacture date and the wheel brand?

Lemmers

BBS
    James Peacock

WWFSMD?

Yes, there were multiple manufacturers. My friend and I noticed that too when we both had out basketweaves off our cars. Interesting.

I had the BBS's though, which I just prefer. :D

Comment

You should ask Mitch Morrison - Mitch M, I think, here on R3V --- he knows EVERYTHING, I swear. He's told me about this exact topic before - drop him a line.

Comment

Are they both the exact same wheel? I would naturally think the BBS's would be better just because of their reputation for high quality wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by LikeCDoos
          Are they both the exact same wheel? I would naturally think the BBS's would be better just because of their reputation for high quality wheels.
          Yes, they appear to be identical. I'd also prefer the BBS's though.
          James Peacock

WWFSMD?

Comment

It's just like the instrument clusters. Multiple manufacturers (VDO and MotoMeter)....or the early trannys, ZF or Getrag...

Comment

I think they had 3 manufacturers, don't know the third though
              My 318 came with the Lemmers ones, and my 89 325is came with the BBS ones. The BBS wheels are noticeably stronger according to curbs :P

Comment

Is the 3rd manufacturer "Alu?"
                James Peacock

WWFSMD?

Comment

All are made to BMW's standard or they wouldn't have sourced them as a manufacter. On those lines there are only about 5 plants that manufacter wheels in EU. BBS has a factory about 1.5 hours away from me in France, one of these days I will go and snap some shots of their plant. But they make wheels for about at least a dozen and half other companies.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

There were multiple manufacturers of bottlecaps as well.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X