225s on 15s and fitment. . . ATTN: Jay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

225s on 15s and fitment. . . ATTN: Jay

Say you are trying to figure out what "wide" 225s would fit on a 15 inch wheel. It is known that "wide" 225s will fit on a 15x7 wheel. Either ET24 or ET25. I know some who space this out a little though...Michael Osbourne) It is also known that "wide" 225s fit on ET27 Koseis.

What about wider wheels? What would be fitting on a 15x7.5. I'm trying to use the offset calculator, but don't know if it would rub the strut or fender first. How much room is left with street 225s on Ronals?

I gather from Whitney that 225 Kuhmo Victoracers fit, but just barely from the strut. ET22 and 15x8. A wider 225 probably wouldn't. Hmmm. Maybe a 3mm spacer?

Can't really roll the fender outwards, only flatten the fender lip. If you know anything, please add it here.
    Last edited by rwh11385; 01-04-2006, 12:35 PM.

you just need the Dr. Shchipkov fender mod and you can go as big as you want . . .
    Current Cars
    2014 M235i
    2009 R56 Cooper S
    1998 M3
    1997 M3

Comment

somehow i dont think that would work.

i.e. look what happened to MAkard...

Comment

If the Ronals were ET22 they'd be perfect for REAL 225's. Most 225's run too wide to fit Ronals without spacers (with the exception of square-shouldered tires, like ES100's).

Let's some simple math to figure this out:

Ronal LS, 7.5" wide, ET25

7.5" = 190.25 mm

Distance from hub face to inboard edge of wheel (d) = offset (ET) + 1/2 width of wheel (w)

d = ET + w/2

d (Ronal) = 25 + 190.25/2
        d (Ronal) = 120.125mm

Let's do the same for 15x7 ET27 and 15x8 ET22 (assuming same sort of inner lip, typical wheels are usually 1/4" wider on each side past what they measure, so this is approximate)

15x7 ET27:

d = 115.9mm

15x8 ET22:

d = 123.6mm

As you can see, the 15x8 ET22 Kosei is the closest to the strut, but that is just the wheel. A fat tire hangs out another 1/4" - 3/4" outside the outer edge of the wheel.

Distance to fender (in the same parameter sense) is simply the overal wheel width minus the numbers I calculated. Hope this helps, I'm going to ponder over a way to truly figure out how much space an E30 has, will probably take some measurements with the wheels I have to get a base line going.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN
          you just need the Dr. Shchipkov fender mod and you can go as big as you want . . .
          Any wheel and DOT-approved tire combination that fits under the stock body. Fender and wheel openings shall remain unmodified except that it is permitted to roll under or flatten any interior lip on a wheel opening for tire clearance purposes.

of course....maybe an early model has its advantages...

thanks Axxe. maybe this can be answered that way, or maybe it'll just need to be a try and see thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385
            of course....maybe an early model has its advantages...

thanks Axxe. maybe this can be answered that way, or maybe it'll just need to be a try and see thing.
            So Serious, Robert . . . .

Chill, You are just pissed that I have such the Budget Beater deals lately!!!
            Current Cars
            2014 M235i
            2009 R56 Cooper S
            1998 M3
            1997 M3

Comment

This could sort of maybe tie in with what Heeter is talking about, so I'm going to ask it...

Anyone know just how much rolling Alex had to do to fit his meaty Koseis? I'm just trying to get some info here because some people might know, he doesn't sign on much anymore, so his replies to PMs come slowly. Any help would be great.

Comment

Trial and error is the best way, but it is also the most expensive way. I've got 205's on a 16x17.5" rim, and the fender needs to be rolled. I'm tucking rear tire with an early arch on IE Stg 3's.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Oh, and in case anyone is planning on buying wheels, TireRack only has Kosei 15x8s left in ET12.

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe
                    If the Ronals were ET22 they'd be perfect for REAL 225's. Most 225's run too wide to fit Ronals without spacers (with the exception of square-shouldered tires, like ES100's).

Let's some simple math to figure this out:
                    Distance to fender (in the same parameter sense) is simply the overal wheel width minus the numbers I calculated. Hope this helps, I'm going to ponder over a way to truly figure out how much space an E30 has, will probably take some measurements with the wheels I have to get a base line going.
                    Hmm. I am trying to figure how the tire would fit, and am using the tread width, although i may have to consider the section width in reality.

the tire i look at would be 8.7" inch in tread, assuming an extra 1/2" in measure rim width yield 2/10". that is 217.5mm, divided by 2, then plus the offset of 22 = 130.75

the 225/50-15 ES100s are on a 7" measured rim width, so they are let's say 8.5" tread on the Ronal. that is 131.25. so I believe that means I have more clearance of tread with the 225 I want on the bigger wheel. Figuring the section width as well, there should be more clearance to the strut with the 15x8 ET22s of the tire sidewall. (i think)

now the problem may be on the other end.
                    217.5 overall tread width - 130.75 = 86.75
                    212.5 overall tread width - 131.25 = 81.25

so the 225 on the 15x8 et22 would be 5.5mm closer to the fender (or into it). I don't think a 225-50-15 on a Ronal has that much clearance to give, but who knows.

hmmmmmm. obviously this doesn't matter anytime soon, and i could eventually just buy a 15x8 et22 kosei and test fit it with the tires i want. and if that doesn't work, just use Ronals (or similar 7.5 wheel), or go for the easy Team Dynamics. This is for the future, and not for now.... and maybe I want to keep some details under wraps.

Comment

If the Ronals were ET22 they'd be perfect for REAL 225's.
                      if only every tire i liked wasn't in 15"
                      16X7.5 BLANK ET22 K1 RACING * $199.00

nothing says I couldn't run a small spacer though. someone else runs one with their euro weaves on REAL 225s. anything to give an extra half inch or inch on everyone else would be sweet.

and oops. i misread a half inch of wheel would yeild an additonal 2/10" section width as tread width. oops there are some errors in my math therefore.

okay, assuming the 7.5" wheel makes the section width of the ES100 9.2", there is 140mm towards the strut, versus 140.75mm of the 225 on the 8" wide Kosei.

and going the other way, 90mm with the ES100 on the Ronal, versus 91.75mm of the tire on the Kosei... (I think).
                      Last edited by rwh11385; 01-04-2006, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385
                        if only every tire i liked wasn't in 15"
                        16X7.5 BLANK ET22 K1 RACING * $199.00

nothing says I couldn't run a small spacer though. someone else runs one with their euro weaves on REAL 225s. anything to give an extra half inch or inch on everyone else would be sweet. (extra 2/10 or 4/10" tread width)
                        RS2s in 225/45 or 225/50
                        RA1s in 225/50
                        Current Cars
                        2014 M235i
                        2009 R56 Cooper S
                        1998 M3
                        1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by permit
                          Oh, and in case anyone is planning on buying wheels, TireRack only has Kosei 15x8s left in ET12.
                          Ben e-mailed me today. They have 15x8 ET27 as well.

Comment

What's wrong with your Kosei's Heeter? Dont like 225 on 7"?

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac
                              What's wrong with your Kosei's Heeter? Dont like 225 on 7"?
                              I have them now and he needs to have something much more FUH RAZE than lowly unskilled Dave.

Either that, or he is bored stiff at his co-op job thing and his mind is wandering . . .
                              Current Cars
                              2014 M235i
                              2009 R56 Cooper S
                              1998 M3
                              1997 M3

Comment

Working...
                              X