Running 17x7.5 & 17x8.5's on E30

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • einstein57
    replied
    The issue is not the odometer discrepancy. Its the rubbing against the fender, firewall, and core support that needs to be taken into consideration. Especially with low offset wheels.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bmr
    replied
    Originally posted by MR 325
    The stock diameter of the original 195/65/14 tire is 24.0". A 215/45/17 tire is 24.6" tall.

    That's how it's too tall.
    You are correct, my speedo at 60 is off by a 1/8 of a mph if that. Not a big issue. Going to a 205 would have made it smaller but ridiculous stretch.

    Leave a comment:


  • MR 325
    replied
    The stock diameter of the original 195/65/14 tire is 24.0". A 215/45/17 tire is 24.6" tall.

    That's how it's too tall.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bmr
    replied
    Originally posted by MR 325
    The wheel/tire should not be hitting the strut when turning. The clearance should not change.

    The 215/45 tire is too tall for the E30 as well.
    Really now. Also 215 40 17(wrong size stated before) on a 9 is not to tall for a BMW. But that's your opinion. Like i said the wheel is literately 1mm from strut housing. No matter what, it will flex a slight bit.

    I want to know how this tire is to tall..
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • MR 325
    replied
    Originally posted by Bmr
    Currently running 17x9 et20 and front hits strut on wide turns. Also pokes out about a 1/4 inch. I really should have got 17x8.5 in the front. running 215 45 17 all around. No fende roll just push the lip up a little bit in the fronts. Lowered with h&r with billy sports.
    The wheel/tire should not be hitting the strut when turning. The clearance should not change.

    The 215/45 tire is too tall for the E30 as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bmr
    replied
    Currently running 17x9 et20 and front hits strut on wide turns. Also pokes out about a 1/4 inch. I really should have got 17x8.5 in the front. running 215 45 17 all around. No fende roll just push the lip up a little bit in the fronts. Lowered with h&r with billy sports.

    Leave a comment:


  • M88
    replied
    Falken fk452 245/35/17 is what you need.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    maybe he saw your futuras and was intimidated.

    Leave a comment:


  • lambo
    replied
    Originally posted by freeride53
    Properly, yes eventually. I have an even bigger secret-wheels-surprise after what you will all see in a few weeks' time, they're really the deal of the century - but will need to be refinished, wrapped in high-end rubber, and deserve the big 5-lug brakes and such.

    Sina
    So what the fuck happened to this?

    Leave a comment:


  • M88
    replied
    Falken fk 452 245/35/17 for rear and 215/40/17 for the front. Matched set!

    Leave a comment:


  • freeride53
    replied
    Originally posted by lambo
    Your car is definitely going to feel slower since you are increasing the rotational mass with bigger wheels and tires. As for grip, a square set up is usually preferential, but I don't think it's really going to affect the drive-ability much, if at all.
    Yeah that's why I might decide to trade off two and go square instead. It'd be cheaper for tires too! And I'm afraid that it might actually affect the drivability much in fact. This is because I have a m42 and i'd be making a HUGE leap to 17x8.5 from dem lil' 14x6.5's

    Originally posted by dude8383
    You goin 5 lug??
    Properly, yes eventually. I have an even bigger secret-wheels-surprise after what you will all see in a few weeks' time, they're really the deal of the century - but will need to be refinished, wrapped in high-end rubber, and deserve the big 5-lug brakes and such.

    Sina

    Leave a comment:


  • dude8383
    replied
    Originally posted by lambo
    blah blah blah
    Whoops. I completely missed that in the first post!

    Leave a comment:


  • lambo
    replied
    Originally posted by dude8383
    You goin 5 lug??
    Originally posted by freeride53
    I'm looking at running these on my E30 with 18mm and 20mm adapters.


    Originally posted by freeride53
    ..also, I'm hearing from some friends that a square setup would be better for me, considering I have a relatively underpowered m42 in comparison to the power being laid down by the car for which this fitment was originally intended for.... What are your guys' thoughts on this?
    Your car is definitely going to feel slower since you are increasing the rotational mass with bigger wheels and tires. As for grip, a square set up is usually preferential, but I don't think it's really going to affect the drive-ability much, if at all.

    Leave a comment:


  • dude8383
    replied
    You goin 5 lug??

    Leave a comment:


  • freeride53
    replied
    ..also, I'm hearing from some friends that a square setup would be better for me, considering I have a relatively underpowered m42 in comparison to the power being laid down by the car for which this fitment was originally intended for.... What are your guys' thoughts on this?

    Leave a comment:

Working...