style 42 wheels refurbishing. need opinion and advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

style 42 wheels refurbishing. need opinion and advice

So a friend of mine has some left over Style 42 wheels from his e39, and he is willing to give them to me super cheap. they are bbs style 42 17x8 i believe et 20 (correct me if i'm wrong) as you can see in the picture the centers are in perfect condition but the lips have a little curb rash. i plan on putting these on my five lug e30.

so when it comes to the curb rash i really don't know where to begin. i know there are places that can fix this, but is there a way for me to do it at home?

also once the lips are in good order i want to either powder coat the centers white only and leave the lips silver. or powder coat the whole wheel white.
    here is a pcture of the actual wheels ill be using.

and here are some picture of the two options. similar to what i want mine to look like.

powder coat whole wheel white. center and lip
    0.00%
    powder coat center piece white only
    100.00%

Here are mine with powdercoated center seaside bronze. Lips should always be polished IMO. The painted titanium bolts looks horrible IMO in the pic above.

Comment

yeah those came out really nice. how much can i expect to pay to have the centers powder coated? and did you have any curb rash to fix with yours?

Comment

With minor curb rash. I usaully strip the clear coat, mount the wheel while my car is jacked up. Then take a file to it. Watch your hands though.

Comment

The curb rash can easily be sanded out.

Here is more info on the wheels:

Anleitungen, Reparaturen, Tipps & Tricks, Kaufberatung, Neuheiten. BMW-Treff - der Treffpunkt für alle BMW-Fans und -Fahrer. Besuche die Community jetzt

Comment

Yes mine were heavily rashed and even a few chunks taken out. They were filled/welded with aluminum, sanded down and entire hoop polished. It was $75/center for powdercoat. All together was $1k to refinish. I don't remember if that included shipping the hoops to Monterey. Picked the wheels up for $50....
            Last edited by R3Z3N; 10-18-2013, 12:37 AM.

Comment

FYI, the powdercoating place here charges $40 per wheel, $50 with clear coat. $75 per center is crazy.

Comment

Different markets... They did do the prep work as well. I might have had it done cheaper elsewhere but the price was fine by me, obviously, as well as supporting a local business rather than shipping.

Comment

Working...
                X