Modifying Wheels? Is this possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modifying Wheels? Is this possible?

Hello R3v, I purchased a set of Impul wheels a few months ago and am finally getting around to mounting them. The wheels are drilled to fit 4x114 so I had a set of adapters made to fit the wheels to the e30 hub. Here is the dilemma that I am running into at the moment; I went to a local wheel shop the other day to have studs installed and during the mock set up, we noticed that the very tip of the nut that holds the adapter to the hub was hitting a very small part of the wheel when we tried to fit the wheels to the adapter!!. My question is....... Can I, very carefully, remove some of this material from the wheel so that I can fit them to the adapter? (Please see attached images) I have attached two images that show where I am talking about. One image (with the red rectangles) show the four parts that will need to be very gently ground down. The 3/4 view image (with the red oval) shows exactly what I will be taking down. It will remove about a centimeter from the hub in that exact spot and will be in a similar shape as the oval. I can't see how this will effect the wheels or their performance or the integrity of the wheel but I thought I would ask this community for your insight with this matter.

Further information:
    - I had the adapters machined to be hubsentric so that they fit the e30 hub collar.
    - The wheels, however, are not hubsentric to the adapter as I found this to be redundant.
    - I do not track the car so it will just be used for daily driving.

Again, the question is: Can I, very carefully, remove some of this material from the wheel so that I can fit them to the adapter? Or will this greatly effect the integrity of the wheels?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Why not machine down the head of the nut then? or get a smaller/thinner nut

Comment

@series88 - That's a really good question. The nuts that I have are 15mm and are angled to fit into the countersunk holes in the adapters. I am literally 1mm away from them being completely flush to the adapters. Do you think shaving 2mm off of the nut will effect the integrity of the nut considering that it is already pretty thin at 15mm?
        Last edited by Raccoon; 10-27-2013, 10:02 PM.

Comment

You should be fine, 15mm is about 5/8s so a mm or two won't affect the integrity.

Do a mm from the nut and a mm from the rim if you're worried about integrity.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
          sigpic
          Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Good call. I will call a local machine shop tomorrow and get some pricing. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

How about a tuner bolt like this

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
              My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
              X