Late Rear Inner Fender Bump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late Rear Inner Fender Bump

Can you hammer the shit out of the late rear inner fender bump or will it distort the quarter panels? I can't find anyone actually posting about doing this and it's only hinted at in a few threads.
    91 318is - Gone
    16 VW GTI
    07 Aprilia Tuono

Well kids, here is what happens when you do this...
    Drivers side there is less rubbing as there is less of a bump, you can flap wheel off the panel sealer where it has been rubbing and use a fender roller over the area that rubs to flatten it down safely. I have no more rubbing here.

Passenger side is the hard part - there are more areas that rub. Up front you can use a fender roller the same way as the driver side but in the area that it rubs in the rear you're still going to get some rubbing after the fender roller is used to flatten everything in - read: there are two pieces of metal in the rear, the outer fender and the inner fender and there is a small gap between the two inside. Using a hammer will get you the clearance you need but, for the love of god, be light and use paint to test and see if you're getting rubbing so you can push as little as you need. I ended up going too far and my fender is wavy. Not really a big deal as the car has a few dents on this side already but it upsets me that I wasn't more patient about it.

Waves if you look real close or rub your hand over the fender arch:

91 318is - Gone
    16 VW GTI
    07 Aprilia Tuono

Comment

I have used this method on both my cars, without any damage to the arches. The trick is lots of heat, and going very slow.
      2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
      (Daily Driver)
      Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
      KW V2 Coilovers
      VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Despite my rear alignment being great and the ride heights being the same, I only rub on the rear inner "bump" on my late model E30 on the driver's side. Probably because my ass is on that side.

Any other insights on flatting that section out? Just heat it up good and hit it with the fender roller to smooth it down?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Working...
        X