Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your thoughts on this Fill n Drill job (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your thoughts on this Fill n Drill job (pics)

Picked up these 16" style 5's a few days ago for a reasonable price. They were done by a shop in California according to the previous owner. Figured it was a legit job seeing that it was filled and drilled as opposed to just re-drilled.

Then one of my buddies pointed out the lack of sidewall on the center-bore area closer to the center cap area. I still don't think it's that serious of an issue considering that it is inevitable (maybe not?) because of the naturally larger center-bore of these wheels combined with the 4x100 lug pattern. Also, there is definitely more meat between the lug bolt holes and the inner diameter of the center bore where the hub meets the wheel.

Anyway, what are your opinions on this? Safe or no?

I live in jersey where the roads aren't great but I don't track the car or beat on it too much.

We've seen worse. The thin sidewall isn't adding much strength to that part. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I looked into filling and drilling style 5s a while back, and based on what I found (which is what you pictured), I don't think I'd run any style 5 that has been filled and drilled to 4x100.

It might be fine, but I'm not going to be the one to test it.

Comment

wow! people are actually driving on wheels that bad?!?!
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by navid41691 View Post
          Picked up these 16" style 5's a few days ago for a reasonable price. They were done by a shop in California according to the previous owner. Figured it was a legit job seeing that it was filled and drilled as opposed to just re-drilled.

Then one of my buddies pointed out the lack of sidewall on the center-bore area closer to the center cap area. I still don't think it's that serious of an issue considering that it is inevitable (maybe not?) because of the naturally larger center-bore of these wheels combined with the 4x100 lug pattern. Also, there is definitely more meat between the lug bolt holes and the inner diameter of the center bore where the hub meets the wheel.

Anyway, what are your opinions on this? Safe or no?

I live in jersey where the roads aren't great but I don't track the car or beat on it too much.

You will be just fine. I had a set of redrilled style 5's that I ran and tracked and they held up very well. So far I have not heard of anyone having their redrilled style 5's break or anything like that. Numerous people on the forums currently run redrilled style 5s with no problems whatsoever.
          Originally posted by csermonet47
          Vlad, you are handling this quite unprofessionally.

Also, you are a cock with tacky taste.

That is all.

Comment

Worriers gonna worry. You'll be fine.
            Originally posted by Andy.B
            Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
            1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            I was born on 3/25…
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Those are fine. I've seen so much worse....where they don't even fill, and put inserts halfway into open holes. I'd run these all day
              www.instagram.com/snwmble
              #snwmble

Current:
              '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
              '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
              '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
              '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
              '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
              '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
              '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
              '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

And why didn't you just convert to 5 lug?

Comment

Structurally speaking, there's still a lot of meat there between the lug holes and the center hole, and the important taper for the lug studs is 100% intact.

I'd run them. Just make sure to have the centercaps on.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                  X