Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does this redrill look to you?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at these set of wheels in a local site, I believe they're 16" Style 5 from a 5 or 7 series, with a set of much lower profile tires to fit an e30. I think they look pretty good - but I'm concerned about the redrilling done. I don't know how to properly identify a good or bad redrill - can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Adam
    Attached Files

Imho no!
    sigpic
    Reich und Roll!

Comment

That rim is 100% not safe. Don't do it.

Comment

That's actually a safer way to do the traditional fill and drill. Instead of putting a lot of heat into the face by welding the holes shut, they pressed steel inserts into the conflicting holes. Having the non-interfering holes still open is no big deal.
        Byron
        Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
          That's actually a safer way to do the traditional fill and drill. Instead of putting a lot of heat into the face by welding the holes shut, they pressed steel inserts into the conflicting holes. Having the non-interfering holes still open is no big deal.
          I don't agree. The integrity of the rim has been lost. I have personally seen re-drills give out in a few events from three different teams. I would not even do this on a daily driver.
          Last edited by goskidmark; 07-20-2015, 09:38 PM. Reason: Because Edit

Comment

Some manufacturers factory wheels have steel lug seats pressed into aluminum wheels, which is basically what this is. It is perfectly safe, if you have seen multiple sets fail then there is probably someone in your area that is doing shitty work.
            Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
              Some manufacturers factory wheels have steel lug seats pressed into aluminum wheels, which is basically what this is. It is perfectly safe, if you have seen multiple sets fail then there is probably someone in your area that is doing shitty work.
              The rims failed due to a lack of structural support. To be clear: Race teams do this in a pinch... in a race car... with a roll cage... to win the race. A last resort. Just like the rim above in the photo you will notice there is only around 2mm of material on the inner wall around the lug nut or lug bolt. This wall should be thicker as you can see from the "Manufactures" stock holes there is around 5mm of thickness to handle the load of the vehicle.

In my professional opinion, I would not do this nor would I advise doing this. I have done some backyard stuff to make things work, but this is where common sense and safety must unite to make the correct discussion respectfully.

Comment

In my unprofessional opinion of running this type of redrill before selling the wheels for 3 years on a car making over 300wtq at the time, I find it safe.
                You might need tuner lugs by the way since the regular bolt lug head probably wont let you fit the socket in - ask him about it.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

On shit that vibrates a lot and flies in the sky, bushing holes is usually preferred over welding. But typically you don't compromise the bushing/hole by drilling through the radius...
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I ended up not going with the wheels - not worth the hassle when I can get some wheels that I know have been done the right way.

Comment

Nope
                      o
                      p
                      e

Comment

Working...
                      X