Tire rubbing strut issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire rubbing strut issue

Toyo R888 225 50 15 on Ronal LS 15x7.5 HR Race Bilstein Sport 1991 318i wheels are rubbing the front strut tubes. Rear has plenty clearance. Had Kumho AST in same size and had zero rubbing issues. Help is greatly appreciated.

How much rub?

Spacers.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Seems like a lot but not sure. Drove them from the shop to home, then took wife to hospital to have the baby. I'm in the room writing this right now. It's bugging me that much. It seems to be a lot. Started hearing a rub at around 30 mph and got louder and didn't stop until stopped.

Comment

Balanced? Is it wobbling into the strut?

I do recall there can be a variance in tread width and tire dimensions in general.

Comment

What mm spacer should I run considering only the front? I understand that anything less than 10mm does not have alip for the wheel to rest on.

Comment

Balanced. No wobbling

Comment

I am no pro but will entertain your problem as you await for contractions, epidural and nurses to rush in.

Spacer depends on how much rub, how much you need to push that wheel away to allow room for the tire.

Wheel is properly torqued?

Thinking of easy things.

Comment

You can get a 5mm spacer and have enough lip for a wheel. It should push it out enough. I believe Toyo R888 run pretty wide.
                1989 325i S50 swapped
                2007 4Runner Sport V8

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin8 View Post
                  Toyo R888 225 50 15 on Ronal LS 15x7.5 HR Race Bilstein Sport 1991 318i wheels are rubbing the front strut tubes. Rear has plenty clearance. Had Kumho AST in same size and had zero rubbing issues. Help is greatly appreciated.
                  r888 definitely run wider than the tires you previously had.

Now that you are having this issue i would stack some washers behind the wheel to see how much clearance you need. Measure the washers to determine the minimum spacer size to clear the strut.

Comment

Hopefully it's just torque. I remember the tech tightened the bolts and put on the caps while still elevated.

She is still not in active labor, going on pitosin. Looks like this is gonna take a while.

Comment

Originally posted by blazinxpk View Post
                      r888 definitely run wider than the tires you previously had.

Now that you are having this issue i would stack some washers behind the wheel to see how much clearance you need. Measure the washers to determine the minimum spacer size to clear the strut.
                      The specs state that the ASTs run 9.2" wide and the R888 are 9.1".

Comment

1st ones can take a bit. Hold her hand. Don't tell her "to relax".

Looks like you got your answer, too.

Comment

r888's foot print is wider than the ast's.

manufacturer's "tread width" measurement is not as helpful as it may seem. They measure from edge to edge of the tread. The AST tread rolls over into the sidewalls further than the R888 which allows them to give a higher measurement but actual dimension of foot print is smaller than the TOYO.
                          sigpic

Comment

Maybe you had spacers before and they left them off?

PS. If this is the right answer, please name your baby after me.
                            Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
                            Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
                            Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Never had spacers

Comment

Working...
                              X