When selling wheels do you think it's worth it to refinish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When selling wheels do you think it's worth it to refinish

prior to selling or selling kinda beat up that way purchaser has option to finish their way.

I have some old ronal/act but I have 4 great caps. Want to get rid of em but don't plan on spending a ton of money.

Cleaning out older horde of things.
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

if you can diy or cheaply sure.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Depends totally on the value of the wheels: Hartge 17" 4x100 3piece splits ....definitely. Euro weaves or a wheel of that value not so much
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
      IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

DIY and cheap finish is just that, cheap. I'm tempted to just have them shot in powder and polish the face, Shop nearby has done lot's of wheels over the years for me.

The issue is I doubt I could get 600 for them which is where I would price them after getting them done. They are perfect for hubcentric 5 lug spacer at et 37. At 15x7.5 they are a nice wheel with out the bone jarring ride and a set of 225-50 or 45's are great.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

These 5x120 or 4x100?
          '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
          '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

There are some people who just want to find what they want and slap it on. Those are the guys who don't mind spending more. It's actually more convenient that way but if you don't want to bother refinishing and just want to move them, you can offer them up at a discount. It's up to you. $600 is a great price for refinished wheels. Not sure about the high offset and having to run spacers.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I say DIY refinish. The investment isnt much money and is really only a time thing, but greatly improves presentation and increases chance to sell. Most people get their cars detailed before they sell them. I feel like that situation applies here as well.
              I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by spike68 View Post
                I say DIY refinish. The investment isnt much money and is really only a time thing, but greatly improves presentation and increases chance to sell. Most people get their cars detailed before they sell them. I feel like that situation applies here as well.
                Agree fully, at the least they look more presentable and if someone wanted to do something drastically different they can run them for a while while planning the next phase of the look of the wheels.
                Originally posted by csermonet47
                Vlad, you are handling this quite unprofessionally.

Also, you are a cock with tacky taste.

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by getouth View Post
                  Depends totally on the value of the wheels: Hartge 17" 4x100 3piece splits ....definitely. Euro weaves or a wheel of that value not so much
                  I disagree. I think it's the other way around. For those wheels and something like original 15 or 16 BBS 3 piece they should be untampered with if they're still original.

I don't plan on ever selling my 16s but when I sold my 15s I certainly listed them as unbroken, never tampered with, etc. and asked for a premium (and received it). I don't know the quality of someone else's shoddy job, DIY or not. I don't know what shortcuts were taken or anything like that. What I would offer, however, is if they wanted to slap them on when they got them I'd put them through a shop of their choosing.

Same with a car. I'd never pay extra for someone's crappy fresh paint job. It's probably a $500 dollar midnight special and more likely than not simply to hide whatever defects/damage were present.

Now a $600 set of wheels? Sure, polish them up. They're just runners so who cares. But a set of collector's wheels? It's called patina.
                  Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Depends on the specs. Sounds like they are 5 lug. The 4x100 have been going for 1000-1200 pretty quickly in original shape. People sell the 5 lug version for $500.

Comment

Working...
                    X