Has anyone ever powdercoated their e30 wheels?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • e30davie
    replied
    I painted my bottle caps with some decent but still relatively cheap rattle cans. turned out pretty damn good. give them a good clean, quick sand to scuff it up, then wipe it down with wax and grease remover. Couple of coats of paint, came out real good.

    I worked at a powder coating shop for a few months many years ago. I reckon to get the best finish you'd want to do some sort of media blasting on them. and for bottle cap wheels that would be very tedious and time consuming which equals $$$$. It is an industrial process afterall, the finish is not likely to be completely perfect.

    The only thing bad about bottle caps is that they are 14" so performance tyres where i am are hard to get in that size. other than that as far as oem wheels go they are pretty cool.

    Leave a comment:


  • laidback93
    replied
    Originally posted by 1984CJ7
    Yeah I get werid looks talking about how much I actually like bottle caps. I get it, they are less desirable but for whatever reason, I like how they look in my rally car.


    I’m sure people will think I’m weird restoring my stock ‘iS’ weaves, but they are original to the car so I want to do it.

    Leave a comment:


  • 1984CJ7
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffnhiscars
    I've found prices on coatings to vary dramatically with some shops treating it like gold leaf and others more like the industrial coating that it is. ie I just had a valve cover, intake manifold, upper timing cover and both pieces of the tstat housing done for $200 in a custom color (so the powder is more expensive). This included sanding the Vc then adding a clear coat to all pieces. Pics in my time capsule build thread.

    I've been quoted $300 to do all 4 bbs wheels which is not much more than I paid to have them repainted but I have had quotes way higher.

    Not sure why you'd want to invest in doing bottle caps which are basically worth their weight in aluminum but your car your cash :)
    Yeah I get werid looks talking about how much I actually like bottle caps. I get it, they are less desirable but for whatever reason, I like how they look in my rally car.

    Leave a comment:


  • jeffnhiscars
    replied
    I've found prices on coatings to vary dramatically with some shops treating it like gold leaf and others more like the industrial coating that it is. ie I just had a valve cover, intake manifold, upper timing cover and both pieces of the tstat housing done for $200 in a custom color (so the powder is more expensive). This included sanding the Vc then adding a clear coat to all pieces. Pics in my time capsule build thread.

    I've been quoted $300 to do all 4 bbs wheels which is not much more than I paid to have them repainted but I have had quotes way higher.

    Not sure why you'd want to invest in doing bottle caps which are basically worth their weight in aluminum but your car your cash :)

    Leave a comment:


  • 1984CJ7
    replied
    Originally posted by McGyver
    Powder coating is very common for refinishing wheels. I just sent a set to a local shop, they charged $500 a set to powder coat.
    Was that including prep work like sandblasting? The best local shop I've found charged my buddy around $1k to do both bumpers and all 4 fenders (aftermarket jeep jk stuff). That price included blasting off old rust and paint.
    Last edited by 1984CJ7; 07-20-2019, 02:41 AM. Reason: Correction

    Leave a comment:


  • McGyver
    replied
    Powder coating is very common for refinishing wheels. I just sent a set to a local shop, they charged $500 a set to powder coat.

    Leave a comment:


  • cheffy30
    replied
    here is a killer video on wheel restoration.
    check it out:

    Leave a comment:


  • 1984CJ7
    started a topic Has anyone ever powdercoated their e30 wheels?

    Has anyone ever powdercoated their e30 wheels?

    Howdy folks. My bottle caps on my rally 325e are in a poor state.... In the jeep scene we like to powder coat things. So my question is, have any of you had your wheels, or any other part done? Cost, comments, concerns? I'm going to be starting a cosmetic restoration soon and I want the best advice. Thanks!
Working...