What is happening to the demise of 225-45-16 tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is happening to the demise of 225-45-16 tires

There are not many Tire companies selling in these size anymore. The bling factor must go! Even 17 are begining to look small when GM offers tires for normal vehicles in the 18 and up range.

I wanted some BFG G force KDW-2 in this size but they don't exist anymore. I guess I'll buy some RS 212.

Toyo makes them. Proxes T1-R. Pretty fair price too:D

Comment

Yup, 16" sizes look very scarce. Time to move up to 17s, eh? ;)

Next tire purchase is pretty much limited to 215 45 azenis or 225 45 hankook 212s.
      87 325IS - Delphin Grey/Cardinal

Comment

215/50 or 225/50 goodyear f1 gsd3's

ive got 215's but 225s woul clear on lower car [h&r sports]

Originally posted by vlad
        Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

you can also still get yoko es100's in 225 45 16. I have a set on my car right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mot View Post
            you can also still get yoko es100's in 225 45 16. I have a set on my car right now.
            oh god.. why do people still buy these?
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              oh god.. why do people still buy these?
              they are good street tires?

not everyone is set on Azenis for ultra sticky and ultra low treadwear, or for the "are these gonna handle track heat" in 14's.

and i'm calling b.s. on them being bad for drifting, i love them

Comment

Originally posted by IS View Post
                Yup, 16" sizes look very scarce. Time to move up to 17s, eh? ;)

Next tire purchase is pretty much limited to 215 45 azenis or 225 45 hankook 212s.

Not ready to make the jump, I'd rather stick with a 16 than have to change for speedo calibration. Thinking when it comes down to it I could goto a 225-50-16 and being a slight plus vs negative.

Comment

Originally posted by lance_entities View Post
                  they are good street tires?

not everyone is set on Azenis for ultra sticky and ultra low treadwear, or for the "are these gonna handle track heat" in 14's.

and i'm calling b.s. on them being bad for drifting, i love them
                  funny, because my azenis outlasted my yoko's by about 5,000 miles (including a full season of autox), in addition to having better wet and dry traction. :?

oh yeah, they cost less too..
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

mine were on sale, Im switching to kdw2's anyways, I was just pointing out another 225 45 tire.

Comment

Originally posted by Mot View Post
                      mine were on sale, Im switching to kdw2's anyways, I was just pointing out another 225 45 tire.
                      I know, it's just that there are others that are way better for the same or lower price. the hankooks or the toyos for example. every time I see a car with the yokos is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

too bad the KDW2s are discontinued in that size, because if you want a decently agressive tire with good treadwear that is streetable they are probably perfect for that. if they are still around when I need new ones I'll probably get them again..
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by SchnellerVert View Post
                        Not ready to make the jump, I'd rather stick with a 16 than have to change for speedo calibration. Thinking when it comes down to it I could goto a 225-50-16 and being a slight plus vs negative.
                        The 225 50 would look so bad though. I'm considering going 5 lug and using e36 m3 wheels once my s03's wear out - tons of tire choices.
                        87 325IS - Delphin Grey/Cardinal

Comment

Because no cars that come with that size have been produced in over a decade, save for one rarity: The SRT-4 competition package.

IMO, the Hankook R-S2 in 225 and Azenis RT-615 in 215/45/16 are what people look for anyways, if you don't care about all-out performance just get 205's (which there are PLENTY of).

Comment

Originally posted by IS View Post
                            The 225 50 would look so bad though. I'm considering going 5 lug and using e36 m3 wheels once my s03's wear out - tons of tire choices.
                            Just get 17" wheels and run 235/40/17 or 245/35/17. Unless you really want the 5-lug brakes...

Comment

I have two many 16" wheel combo's and debating getting a M. E30's on 17's don't ride all that comfortable with now sidewall.

Now I'm not saying I want a comfort ride, I could use the family hauler for that. I do want a safety margin between my rims with some tire vs some of the band aid sized tires are using.

Comment

Working...
                              X