Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASK ALL WHEEL/TIRE FITMENT QUESTIONS HERE - The Official Wheel/Tire Fitment Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hallen View Post
    If you can get 225's all around, then that is the way to go for now, especialy if you haven't done much track driving before.
    You really don't want wider tires in the back unless you are putting a lot more than stock power down. It will just make the car understeer more with wider tires in the back.
    Thank you for info,
    actually 290whp, with @ 350 in mind for the first season race
    I'm not a beginner into lapping, 3 years now on a jetta.
    But it's my first year with a RWD Bmw.

Actually i have 205-50-15 RA-1 all around, i need more traction for straight line. It's not wide enough i have some traction issue problem.

I'm looking at least for 16inch with 225, or 17'' with the wider i can.
    That's why i asked for the perfect Direct FIT setup.

:)

Front,
    17x (what)
    offset (what)
    Tire size (what) looking for 225

Rear
    17x (what)
    off (what)
    Tire size (what) looking for 245

Thank you
    TRY ME IN THE CORNER
    BMW 325ci 2003
    BMW 325 M20-T (HX55) 1990 (track!)

Comment

OK, I tried searching through here but I couldn't find the answer to this one.

I just bought an 87 325is. It has the stock 14" Basketweaves. What is the widest tire I can fit on those (6.5" width?)?
      205/55-14?
      225/50-14?
      Then of course it is a question of finding a good tire in that size... which might be impossible.

This car will be my HPDE track rat and not a daily driver. I do not want to go to race tires yet.

Eventually I will get 15" wheels for it, but not this year probably.
      The 225's are no problem at all, as long as we're talking R-comps. Then again I don't think there's any street tires made in that size, so you must be. If it's just a track rat to learn with, don't bother with those huge tires (which will need spacers too, btw). Just run 195/60/14 RT-615s. No need to raise the bar for a learning tool.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Toms73NovaSS View Post
        I am looking to find the widest tire that will not give me any problems without rolling lips.

I will have 16x7.5 et25 ACS Type I wheels.

From the reading I have done options are:

205x50x16
        215x45x16
        225x45x16

The car is slightly lowered on BAV Autosport spring (were on car when I purchased I might upgrade to a stiffer spring but not now).

Will the 225's give me problems or will they fit?

Thanks
        Tom
        Nice wheels! 225/45/16 won't be a problem, you'll just need to roll the rear fender lips (due to the soft springs, mainly). Those wheels are the perfect offset for their dimensions.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Exekutor View Post
          Thank you for info,
          actually 290whp, with @ 350 in mind for the first season race
          I'm not a beginner into lapping, 3 years now on a jetta.
          But it's my first year with a RWD Bmw.

Actually i have 205-50-15 RA-1 all around, i need more traction for straight line. It's not wide enough i have some traction issue problem.

I'm looking at least for 16inch with 225, or 17'' with the wider i can.
          That's why i asked for the perfect Direct FIT setup.

:)

Front,
          17x (what)
          offset (what)
          Tire size (what) looking for 225

Rear
          17x (what)
          off (what)
          Tire size (what) looking for 245

Thank you
          There are a few options, and they depend on how willing/able you are with a fender roller and/or body work. So answer this first: Do you want to refrain from fender flaring (i.e. body work) or are you willing to push the limit in order to get the most tire on there?

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
            Nice wheels! 225/45/16 won't be a problem, you'll just need to roll the rear fender lips (due to the soft springs, mainly). Those wheels are the perfect offset for their dimensions.

Jay

Ok rolling the fender lips it is!

thanks
            Tom

Comment

I'm getting a set of 15x7 et10 wheels. I got a 60/50 drop on my early body. I was looking at 225/50's or 225/45's. Would this be a good size to use or would something else be in order for it?

1992 BMW 325iC
              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                I'm getting a set of 15x7 et10 wheels. I got a 60/50 drop on my early body. I was looking at 225/50's or 225/45's. Would this be a good size to use or would something else be in order for it?
                Yeah that won't work. 205s max.

Jay

Comment

The 225's are no problem at all, as long as we're talking R-comps. Then again I don't think there's any street tires made in that size, so you must be. If it's just a track rat to learn with, don't bother with those huge tires (which will need spacers too, btw). Just run 195/60/14 RT-615s. No need to raise the bar for a learning tool.

Jay
                  Thanks Jay.

I wanted a little more rubber than the 195's if I can. I have track experience already. I ran out of tire with my 99 E46 with 225's. (Yeah, it is a lot heavier so that makes a big difference). The tires were Goodyear Eagle F1 D3 GS.

I am sticking with a street tire however, for exactly the reason you mention. Next year I might go with R compound, but it would be overkill now and not as good for learning. The Falkens look like a good option.
                  1987 E30 325is
                  1999 E46 323i
                  RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                  oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Thanks Jay.

I wanted a little more rubber than the 195's if I can. I have track experience already. I ran out of tire with my 99 E46 with 225's. (Yeah, it is a lot heavier so that makes a big difference). The tires were Goodyear Eagle F1 D3 GS.

I am sticking with a street tire however, for exactly the reason you mention. Next year I might go with R compound, but it would be overkill now and not as good for learning. The Falkens look like a good option.
                    I know of many E30 guys running around with 195 RT-615s on stock wheels, it's enough especially for getting used to the E30's quirks on the track. Bigger rubber will only raise the limits and hide things you could learn from. They WILL overheat on really hot days or when you lap for 20+mins straight, just take a cool-down lap occasionally.

Also, the GS-D3 runs out of muscle on the track pretty easily, I think you'll be happy since those are a reference point.

Jay

Comment

hey jay, im looking at 16x8 rims would et15 be a good offset? im on bilsteins/h&r sport, i also have a sub in the trunk so the rear is a little heavier. would 205/40/16 rt 615's be okay without rubbing? also this is for my 89 325is.

Comment

Originally posted by Cream View Post
                        hey jay, im looking at 16x8 rims would et15 be a good offset? im on bilsteins/h&r sport, i also have a sub in the trunk so the rear is a little heavier. would 205/40/16 rt 615's be okay without rubbing? also this is for my 89 325is.
                        That setup is fine fitment-wise, but it will look goofy. The car isn't low enough for the TINY tires.

Run 215/45/16 and roll the fenders. The RT-615 comes in this size, do that.

Jay

Comment

Yeah that won't work. 205s max.

Jay
                          Thanks, i was looking around and doing some measuring. And it looks like 205/50's may need some fender rolling in the front? But with 195/55's it will be close. And with 195/50's it should clear. Please correct me if i'm looking at the wrong tire sizes.

1992 BMW 325iC
                          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                            Thanks, i was looking around and doing some measuring. And it looks like 205/50's may need some fender rolling in the front? But with 195/55's it will be close. And with 195/50's it should clear. Please correct me if i'm looking at the wrong tire sizes.
                            You are absolutely right. Good measuring.

Jay

Comment

Hi everyone, as you all can see i'm brand new to r3v.

I'm trying to fit some serious racing slicks on the rear of my e30 project car, and i wanted to run this stuff by you guys.

Now, i'll start by saying that bodywork is absolutely no concern.

Here's what i'm trying to do. The small tire is the stock 195/65/14 that came on my 88 325is. The slick is a 275/40/17, and i'm hell bent on getting it on the back of my car.

So, here is what i had in mind. Sportmax 17x9 ET35 rims with H&R 25MM spacers for the rear

For the front I am planning sportmax 17x8 rims, with the same 25mm spacers, and 245/40/17 tires.

Now, just for reference, there is an e30 in my area running 285/30/18's with custom rims, ET6.5 in the rear and -6.5 in the front.

Right now i have 1.25" lowering springs, but due to all the weight reduction the car sits at about stock height. I'm planning to switch to coilovers later on.

Thanks, Matt
                              -Matt

;)

“Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!” -Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbeansm3 View Post
                                Hi everyone, as you all can see i'm brand new to r3v.

I'm trying to fit some serious racing slicks on the rear of my e30 project car, and i wanted to run this stuff by you guys.

Now, i'll start by saying that bodywork is absolutely no concern.

Here's what i'm trying to do. The small tire is the stock 195/65/14 that came on my 88 325is. The slick is a 275/40/17, and i'm hell bent on getting it on the back of my car.

So, here is what i had in mind. Sportmax 17x9 ET35 rims with H&R 25MM spacers for the rear

For the front I am planning sportmax 17x8 rims, with the same 25mm spacers, and 245/40/17 tires.

Now, just for reference, there is an e30 in my area running 285/30/18's with custom rims, ET6.5 in the rear and -6.5 in the front.

Right now i have 1.25" lowering springs, but due to all the weight reduction the car sits at about stock height. I'm planning to switch to coilovers later on.

Thanks, Matt
                                Jesus.

First, I need to know the section width of those tires (both front and rears). I can work it out for you then.

Jay

Comment

Working...
                                X