Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASK ALL WHEEL/TIRE FITMENT QUESTIONS HERE - The Official Wheel/Tire Fitment Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Size Help

Hi Guys,

Presently, I am running 7 x 16 Mille Miglia Evos with a ET37 and a 10mm spacer all around. The tire size is 225/45/R16 - Toyo Proxes T1S. When I took off the tires for winter storage, I discovered that I had major rubbing problems as I can see the tire essentially being shaved down the far right sides. Driving to back and forth to university (500Km away), I had quite a bit of weight in the trunk.

I am thinking about ordering new tires. Based on tirerack, they recommend a 16" size of 205/50R16.

Would this prevent any rubbing?

Thanks in advance.

David

Comment

BTW Jay

Thanks for the advice!!! It is really appreciated!
      Originally posted by Teaguer
      Filling an Eta's tank with super unleaded will reach the cars maximum attainable performance level .

Aa a bonus filling the tank will also double any Eta's resale value .

Comment

Originally posted by dave335 View Post
        Hi Guys,

Presently, I am running 7 x 16 Mille Miglia Evos with a ET37 and a 10mm spacer all around. The tire size is 225/45/R16 - Toyo Proxes T1S. When I took off the tires for winter storage, I discovered that I had major rubbing problems as I can see the tire essentially being shaved down the far right sides. Driving to back and forth to university (500Km away), I had quite a bit of weight in the trunk.

I am thinking about ordering new tires. Based on tirerack, they recommend a 16" size of 205/50R16.

Would this prevent any rubbing?

Thanks in advance.

David
        Where exactly was it rubbing? It should technically rub on the inside if anywhere, but even then I'm surprised it did. I ran a 16x7 ET25 225/45/16 (only 2mm further out) and never contacted a thing. Your setup should fit fine, but knowing where it was rubbing (front/rear, inner/outer) would help me diagnose the issue.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
          Really? What coils? I know for a fact that a 16x8 will fit with even ET23, so you should have plenty of room unless they're some weird coilovers.

Oh, and share the tire size you chose again. I don't remember nor care to search for it. :p

Jay
          im running 195/45 tires.

the stock spring perches were cut and the gc perches were welded much lower then the stock location. which works fine for me :)

Comment

It was rubbing on the insides. Outsides were fine even without rolled fenders. I am lowered with Bilsteins and Jamex springs (garbage - soft) which could be a cause of the problem as they are soft. My fronts would rub when you turn the wheel lock to lock but this appears to be common on some vehicles. Not sure if it helps but the car is a 1985 325e 4 door.

Thanks in advance.

David

Comment

215/40-17 or 235/40-17 on et20 17x8 style 42?
              e30 325 with e30 m3 5 lug
              i'm worried that the 235 will rub but the 215 will look too stretched.
              opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by dave335 View Post
                It was rubbing on the insides. Outsides were fine even without rolled fenders. I am lowered with Bilsteins and Jamex springs (garbage - soft) which could be a cause of the problem as they are soft. My fronts would rub when you turn the wheel lock to lock but this appears to be common on some vehicles. Not sure if it helps but the car is a 1985 325e 4 door.

Thanks in advance.

David
                It is the springs that caused it, and yes rubbing the splash guards on the front near full lock is expected with that setup.

Backing down to a 205/50/16 should fix the problem, and if not then the springs are truly WAY too soft.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by hugh jass View Post
                  215/40-17 or 235/40-17 on et20 17x8 style 42?
                  e30 325 with e30 m3 5 lug
                  i'm worried that the 235 will rub but the 215 will look too stretched.
                  opinions?
                  215 will be a slight stretch (nothing extreme at all), and 235 will not work without flaring.

Jay

Comment

Jay,

With 17x8.5" definitely happening, hella flush fitment is ET16 front and ET06 rear.

But if I wanted to do correct sized tires, no stretch, what size tire and wheel offset should I shoot for? Will it even fit?

I only ask since the adapters I need will be custom and I want to get the widths right the first time since they're not cheap. ;)

EDIT: Smallest I can go on adapters is 35mm with the wheels so ET21 is the starting offset and I can go lower towards zero...
                    Last edited by M42Technik; 04-02-2008, 12:10 PM.
                    Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by M42Technik View Post
                      Jay,

With 17x8.5" definitely happening, hella flush fitment is ET16 front and ET06 rear.

But if I wanted to do correct sized tires, no stretch, what size tire and wheel offset should I shoot for? Will it even fit?

I only ask since the adapters I need will be custom and I want to get the widths right the first time since they're not cheap. ;)

EDIT: Smallest I can go on adapters is 35mm with the wheels so ET21 is the starting offset and I can go lower towards zero...
                      No stretch with those wheels would mean a 245/35/17. Which has no chance in hell of fitting with ET21 or lower.

So basically, you're stretching. The widest you can shoot for is a 215/40/17, which will already be close with ET21 stretched on 8.5 wheels. Or a 225/35/17 (FK452 or K104), which you can probably get away with ET15, just because it's so short.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
                        No stretch with those wheels would mean a 245/35/17. Which has no chance in hell of fitting with ET21 or lower.

So basically, you're stretching. The widest you can shoot for is a 215/40/17, which will already be close with ET21 stretched on 8.5 wheels. Or a 225/35/17 (FK452 or K104), which you can probably get away with ET15, just because it's so short.

Jay
                        Hmm. I just want flush fitment with the wheels, the lip edges have to line up with the fender edges...much like Elliott and his D90's.

Dammit I dunno what offset will be the best for that.

EDIT: This is a 17x8" wheel ET12 -

I am getting confused as to what offset to pick! Gah!
                        Last edited by M42Technik; 04-03-2008, 11:46 AM.
                        Reminiscing...

Comment

Max backspacing??

What is the max backspacing before spacers are needed 15" wheels for 1987 325i

Comment

225/50/15 et20
                            Originally posted by Teaguer
                            Filling an Eta's tank with super unleaded will reach the cars maximum attainable performance level .

Aa a bonus filling the tank will also double any Eta's resale value .

Comment

I saw a 325is with 17x7 et40 without spacers and they fit fine. Clearance at the strut was about .25". When spacers are suggested is it just to get the wheels closer to the fenders?
                              "Life is hard...it's a lot harder if you're stupid."

Tom
                              72 2002
                              87 327i
                              88 525i
                              88 535i
                              03 530i

Comment

Originally posted by M42Technik View Post
                                Hmm. I just want flush fitment with the wheels, the lip edges have to line up with the fender edges...much like Elliott and his D90's.

Dammit I dunno what offset will be the best for that.

EDIT: This is a 17x8" wheel ET12 -

I am getting confused as to what offset to pick! Gah!
                                Well then you better get to stretching on some 205/40/17s. If you want to look agressive like these guys, you have to run skinny AND undersized tires. No choice really.

Comment

Working...
                                X