Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASK ALL WHEEL/TIRE FITMENT QUESTIONS HERE - The Official Wheel/Tire Fitment Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ethirdy View Post
    The pics with the stud recessed in the lug nut is with the wheels mounted - there's maybe three threads of the lugnut holding the wheel on, and that just doesn't seem right. The thread should be through the nut or at least flush with it, right?

205/50 still seems like it would be too short/too narrow, so I guess 225/45 is a better option. I'll poke around and see what I can find.

Old username? I don't know what you're talking about.... :)
    The rule of thumb is as much engagement as the width of the stud. So since we have 12x1.5 studs, you'd want to get 8 full turns of engagement (12 / 1.5 = 8 ).

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
      You'd have to roll your fenders with any wheel if you run a big enough tire.

With what I suggested (the 501 with a 205/45/16 tire) you won't have to do anything.
      Sweet, thanks for the clarification.
      Originally posted by Mr Watsonsilver
      Im a stright A student
      89 325i (dead)
      89 325is

Comment

Seriously, how many threads are still sticking out once you have the wheels on? I remember Blackforest back in the day stating that the 57mm stud kit was good for 15mm spacers. I'd assume that they left 2mm for error, meaning your setup would work.

The two real options for proper height are 205/50/16 and 225/45/16, and neither are really that common.

BTW, your photo url's still show your old username. :p
        "225/45/16 will work fine on your car with those wheels. You'll likely need to roll the rear, as backtrail said.

On a later car, this same setup would be a headache.

Jay"

"You also have early arches.

My good friend has an '88 with the 16x8s and 225's, I'm telling you guys it's a rubbing nightmare in the back even with rolling. Granted he's only running H&R Sports, but the tires damn near stick outside the fenders. He just killed off the 225/45's and went with 215/45 RT-615s, no more issues.

Like I said, VERY aggressive fitment.

Jay"

Still think they're an option on my car? :)
        Originally posted by alpinaclone
        Since the real economy is in the shitter, I say we start our own.

This is how it works; you buy my junk, then I will buy more junk and so on so forth etc. etc. Think of the future of your children and buy my stuff.

Comment

"225/45/16 will work fine on your car with those wheels. You'll likely need to roll the rear, as backtrail said.

On a later car, this same setup would be a headache.

Jay"

"You also have early arches.

My good friend has an '88 with the 16x8s and 225's, I'm telling you guys it's a rubbing nightmare in the back even with rolling. Granted he's only running H&R Sports, but the tires damn near stick outside the fenders. He just killed off the 225/45's and went with 215/45 RT-615s, no more issues.

Like I said, VERY aggressive fitment.

Jay"

Still think they're an option on my car? :)
          Yes, 100%. Those wheels weren't 7" wide, they were 8" (which effectively makes the tire 10mm wider, or an entire size up).

Comment

Yes, 100%. Those wheels weren't 7" wide, they were 8" (which effectively makes the tire 10mm wider, or an entire size up).
            Really? One inch of difference in the wheel will make a tire that much wider? I guess I'm picturing it such an insignificant difference...

You've sold me - I'll order a pair of 225/45's and slap them suckers on, run the 205/45's up front for now.

This is how it works; you buy my junk, then I will buy more junk and so on so forth etc. etc. Think of the future of your children and buy my stuff.

Comment

Got a quick question. I'm looking at wheels and curious about if a 15x10 would be possible on the rear w/ some stretch. I'm fine working with that and doing a bit of stretch on the wheel wells to get them to fit. If so curious what offset, I can get any and then what's the largest tire I can fit on that.

I'm planning on running 15x8 on the front w/ an et0 and 205/50/15
              If possible I'd like to throw the 225/50/15 that I've got on my car in the rear now.
              Their kumho ecsta's if that matters, I know it does a bit when you stretch them.

Comment

It depends on how much you worked your fenders. Because I can't see them I'd say go with a 205/45 in the back.

You can run spacers on top, but it would be a lot simpler to just buy larger ones.
                Shitty pic I know. Fronts are the same

They are flared a little more than they look, it must be the angle.
                Byron
                Leichtbau

Comment

So I'm pretty much set on the 16x8 slips due to price:weight ratio (unless anyone has a better suggestion). Jay, I've read you recommend the rt-615 for a dd/weekend autox car. My question is could I run the 225/50 with my early arches and how much fender roll would I need? Or should I just go with the 215/45? Keep in mind I am running IE stage 3's.

Thanks.

Comment

what tires to run with sportmax's 501 ?? they are 16x8!!!! I WANT SOMTHING STRECHED BUT WONT RUBB?? ALSO I AM GONNA BE LOWERED ON E-PRO'S AND BILLI SPORTS.

K THX.
                    Originally posted by e30e
                    lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

So...feel like an idiot, but come to find out the masitalys are 7.5" wide. What should I do? Looking at the 205/50/16 Sumitomo HTR Z II's...

Comment

this has probably been covered but what size tires are best on euroweaves? 205/55 or 225/50? I'm lowered on Eibach springs and maybe a small spacer in the future.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 318isbmw View Post
                          Got a quick question. I'm looking at wheels and curious about if a 15x10 would be possible on the rear w/ some stretch. I'm fine working with that and doing a bit of stretch on the wheel wells to get them to fit. If so curious what offset, I can get any and then what's the largest tire I can fit on that.

I'm planning on running 15x8 on the front w/ an et0 and 205/50/15
                          If possible I'd like to throw the 225/50/15 that I've got on my car in the rear now.
                          Their kumho ecsta's if that matters, I know it does a bit when you stretch them.
                          Anything is possible with some heavy fender work. I would suggest strongly against the 225/50/15, as the height will make the fitment even more difficult. In addition, a sidewall that tall looks REALLY odd stretched (try finding some pics online, it's horrible). A 215/45/15 would be a very aggressive stretch, but would be the easiest for fitment. Toyo also makes this size. As for the offset, you'd have to go with around ET-4 (yes, negative). You may be able to get it very slightly higher, but it will already be close to a few different suspension parts.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend going to that kind of extreme, 15x10s are a hard sell on an E30 without flares. 17x10 is actually simpler, as you can push the offset up much higher and avoid heavy fender work. I wouldn't suggest going past a 15x9 at around ET13. That's a nice flush fitment with the same 215/45/15 tires mounted.

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                            Shitty pic I know. Fronts are the same

They are flared a little more than they look, it must be the angle.
                            Like I said to another member in this thread recently, it's really tough to judge from pics online, as there are so many different places that can be a clearance issue in those arches.

I still say a 205/45/16 will be a tight fit. ET2 is serious pokeage (love making up words).

Comment

Originally posted by Jugdish View Post
                              So I'm pretty much set on the 16x8 slips due to price:weight ratio (unless anyone has a better suggestion). Jay, I've read you recommend the rt-615 for a dd/weekend autox car. My question is could I run the 225/50 with my early arches and how much fender roll would I need? Or should I just go with the 215/45? Keep in mind I am running IE stage 3's.

Thanks.
                              225/50/16 will be a problem. A problem large enough that simple fender work won't be enough once the suspension has to compress fully while the wheel is turned for a large bump. The tire will contact the front fenders, and pull them out nicely. I always try to veer people away from tires that large (a full inch bigger than stock).

The 215/45/16 RT-615, on the other hand, won't even require fender rolling with those wheels and will still provide loads of traction.

Comment

So...feel like an idiot, but come to find out the masitalys are 7.5" wide. What should I do? Looking at the 205/50/16 Sumitomo HTR Z II's...
                                225/45/16 will still work, if anything it will be the slightest touch at the rear lips when the car is loaded up. I've run that exact same section width and offset on my car, and it only ever brushed (and I mean literally brushed, you could barely hear it and it left the lightest polished line on the tire) when I had 5+ people in the car.

That said, there aren't many cheap 225/45/16 options. Just get a 205/50, and nothing will beat the Falken ZE-912 for the money in that size.

Comment

Working...
                                X