Need some input on wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some input on wheels.

Still trying to figure out what wheels to buy. I was thinking about the Ronal LS...but now i'm kinda wondering. Am I really gonna notice that much difference between the LS and the basketweaves I currently have on there? I mean, it's 1" bigger, and has a nice bit of dish to it. Other than that though...

Just want to think this through so I don't regret spending the money. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Need some input on wheels.

Originally posted by Bhadole
    I mean, it's 1" bigger, and has a nice bit of dish to it.
    You'll notice it. You should spring for 'em.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Ronals are sweet wheels. I prefer them over the Alpinas actually. If you can still get the super low offset ones DO IT! They are almost as light as the Alpinas and Randy Walters has proven time and time that they are plenty strong enough for the track.

If I had a late model E30 I would shod it in those.
      Im now E30less.
      sigpic

Comment

If you are thinking about Ronals, check out Greg's BBS RZ's. They are 15" weaves, but are cheaper than LS's.

Comment

I say you will notice. aside from being larger, they are 1" wider, which will make a huge difference. add the lip and being MUCH close to the fender, the wheels will just look better. I'd go for them for sure, $500 for a new set of nice wheels is a steal.

there are also much, much better tires available for 15" wheels, unless the only tires you want are falken azenis and you want to stick to the stock pizza cutter tire sizes (195/65-14).
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yea I can't wait to get mine. They come in on Friday. I should have some pics next week.
            Jamie Webster
            '89 325is - sold :(
            '96 Miata - sold
            '01 M5 - sold
            '02 Civic Si

Comment

I just upgraded from stock 14" basketweaves to Ronal LS

I just upgraded from stock 14" basketweaves to Ronal LS 15s. You WILL notice the difference in both performance and also in looks.

The change in looks is subtle, people aren't going to notice you got new wheels. But they will definetly notice your car looks better. The finish, even if your stock wheels are already in perfect condition, and the lip really make the difference.

As far as performance, you will definetly notice the difference there as well. Since putting on the Ronals, I've been pushing my car on the streets during turns just to see how far they'll go (done safely of course). I'm taking turns much harder than I ever would on the stock 14's and I have yet to feel even a hint of slippage. But the 15s wont make for an uncomfortable ride.

Comment

thx for the input guys. I think I will go ahead and get them. After all, they are only $580 shipped. And my weaves are in good condition with good tires on them so I should be able to get at least $200 back from those. Worth a shot i guess. Can always change them next summer.

Comment

Re: I just upgraded from stock 14" basketweaves to Rona

Originally posted by Jon '92 325ic
                  As far as performance, you will definetly notice the difference there as well. Since putting on the Ronals, I've been pushing my car on the streets during turns just to see how far they'll go (done safely of course). I'm taking turns much harder than I ever would on the stock 14's and I have yet to feel even a hint of slippage. But the 15s wont make for an uncomfortable ride.
                  What size tires did you get?
                  Jamie Webster
                  '89 325is - sold :(
                  '96 Miata - sold
                  '01 M5 - sold
                  '02 Civic Si

Comment

I got Bridgestone Turanza LS-Vs in 205-55-15. I was torn between those or Bridestone s-03 Pole Positions in 225-50-15 or Dunlops in that size. In the end, I figured the upgrade from 15s to 14s with the lower profile and 1" wider foot print would be good enough. If I didn't like it, I could always return the 205s within 30 days and get the 225 Pole Positions instead. Turns out the 205s are good enough (so far).

The 225s would be even better, in terms of performance, but a quality tire in that size only lasts about 15K. The tires in that size are also supposed to be noisier and provide a less comfortable ride (which is to be expected when going with a lower profile tire). So, because of these 3 factors, and since my car is a daily driver with mostly L.A. city driving, I decided to go with the 205s first, and it turns out I'm gonna stay with them. The Turanza 205s are supposed to last for 40K miles too.

Comment

Working...
                    X